Colnago Conic SLX 54cm - SOLD

clubby

MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Lovely looking and riding bike but I'm more of a mtb'er and it's only been out once in a year, so time to pass it on to someone who'll use it more.

Frameset – Late 80’s Colanago Conic SLX.
Original paint ( white with blue) and decals, SLX sticker has some bits missing round the edge, chrome fork, chrome chainstay. Slight surface rust on top tube cable guides.
Was sold to me as a 85 Superissimo, but 130mm rear end and lack of chrome lugs dates it slightly later. Best I can research is it’s an early model Conic SLX, possibly 88/89. 90’s models have the straight fork, while this has curved. Spiraling present above BB shell, so it’s definitely SLX. Don’t seem have been many made and as you’ll know Colnagos of this era are pretty hard to identify. Have seen an identical confirmed one but in mint green, not blue and all the details match.
Guy I bought it from said frame was NOS when he bought it, and while I can’t confirm this, it is in good condition. He built it for, and rode it in L’Eroica so spec reflects the early/mid 80’s but looks right. Came with some 90's campag parts but I've searched out most of the correct era parts except the headset which is still 90's chorus but looks right and is smooth as. Also had awful looking coloured modern tyres with had been swapped to tan wall Michelins. One point you to mention is that the wheels are 126 spacing but the frame is 130. Everything works fine and looks perfect. Have asked around and no-one thinks it’s a problem to do this, but thought I should mention it.

Clincher Wheels. 1985 grey Mavic G40 Clinchers on Campag NR hubs and QRs with black oil clips. Tyres - Michelin dynamic classic 14-28 Regina freewheel (added by me last year)

Tub wheels 1985 Mavic GP4 / Campag NR with Sachs 13-26 7-speed freewheel. Brand new Vittoria tubs (never ridden) Some surface rust on rim eyelets but hubs silky smooth.

Close ratio 12-18 spare freewheel.

Yaban chain, new when fitted Regina block.

Campag. SR 52/42 chainset, 170 crank,fluted stamped "strada 170", some strap rubbing marks on cranks, 4 or 5 deeper scratches on rear of right crank.

Bottom bracket- Campag NR, with new bearings that have done 200 miles at most. (was a bugger to find)

Pedals Campag SR,beautifully smooth,some shoe wear, original dust caps, complete with guides ,Campag medium clips and Alfredo Binda Straps.

Also vintage Campag look compatible clipless pedals, with virtually new cleats. Bit scuffed at front cleat entry point, but bearings good.

Rear derailleur Campag SR.

Front derailleur braze-on Campag SR

Downtube levers- Simplex SLJ. Also have bag of spares which are supposed to make a set of Campag downtube shifters but I couldn’t fathom how all the bits went together.

Brakes-SR drilled levers some slight surface scratches, black Campag hoods some small tears but have a set of new gum coloured hoods I've never fitted yet.

Campag SR brake calipers, some plating damage on nuts. Black rubber Campag blocks and wheels guides.

Cinelli "giro d'Italia" bars 44cm. White bar tape.

Cinelli X1 stem 100mm

Saddle- CONCOR San Marco supercorsa, good condition, "broken in", some wear and tear

SR fluted seatpin

Headset Campag chorus from the 90's which look right,are very smooth and totally reliable.

Selling as a bundle. Looking for around £700 plus postage.

Pics at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60359535@ ... 6309536085

Back