BERTRAND TANDEM 1945 Black restored good working condition

Hyfan

Retro Newbie
FOR SALE

Welcome to the sale of this lovingly restored 1945 Vintage Bertrand Tandem in Black.
Time has reluctantly come to find a new home for ‘Berty’. With some regret I have decided that the tandem needs to go to a good home that will take him out and enjoy the experience of tandem cycling.
This is a very very rare 1943 Bertrand tandem with original equipment where fitted-any worn out parts have been replaced with new matching parts. I.e. Brooks’ leather saddles etc.
This bike would appeal to the serious cyclist who wants to buy a rare piece of cycling history, which does not often come up for sale. The Tandem has been dry stored following the restoration and only needs a dust off.

History
The tandem was passed to me buy a friends neighbour, an old gentleman who toured the lake district on it in the late 1950s,he now being in his later years could no longer ride it. I have learned a lot about the original purchase of this 1943 Betrand, which was sold from Oscroft Bros Cycle shop at 191 Woodhouse Road, North Finchley London, N12 9AY. The original shops cycle store badge is still on the down tube of frame see pictures.
The original shop at 191 Woodhouse Road no longer exists and is now Austin Chambers Estate Agents.
The Original owners the Oscroft Brothers cycle shops grandson Oz Oscroft commented ‘Hi, I see Oscroft Brother's bike shop mentioned on this site - it was originally opened by my Grandfather who sold it to a friend a few decades ago. As the write-up says, it continued to run as a friendly, service orientated shop - it felt like you walked back into the 70's when you entered.

Detail of work carried out.
The bike was stripped, frame re-sprayed with black enamel .Original Betrand and shop labels preserved. Wheels rebuilt with new rims and stainless spokes (original hubs used) New brake blocks F&R fitted.-Sturmy Archer 3 speed drum hub at rear. Front and rear brand new BROOKS LEATHER SADDLES fitted with rain covers.

Specification:
Although this is a long bike the frame/bike is surprisingly light due to the top rate build quality of the Bertrand brand. Bike has rear drum brake as well as rim brakes. Grease nipples on almost everything to provide easy maintenance. Heavy duty gauge tandem chain.
Original spares.
With the bike – I am offering. Original Rubber Michelin Tandem tyre –still serviceable. Original rear pannier rack (re-sprayed black) not shown. Spare new rear hub external drive gear. Butyl orange inner tube. New brake blocks. Original brackets to fit the mudguards’ to frame if required. Original rear pannier bag wire rack.

N.B.I am 6’2” and in the front position on the bike there is only just enough room, I would say that the bike would be well suited to slightly shorter riders-as the leg room on the back is limited (although you could fit a saddle seat post to extend the distance) Frame down tube lengths (top of tube to centre of crank) are:Front-21inches Rear:21 inches (saddles at moment set from saddle height to centre of crank is 31 front and 27 back).
If you want a piece of tandem cycling history from the 1940s please ask.
Looking for £800 ono. It seems a shame to store and not use this lovely old black Bertrand Tandem .
I am open to realistic offers on this around so if you are seriously interested please contact me on my email address.
Email: 123hyfan@gmail.com
I have pictures which I can send you if required. As I cannot seem to copy these onto here. New to forum :(

Back