Rivendell-inspired Dawes Galaxy as town/utility bike

badams

Dirt Disciple
I'm selling my trusty (1995? 1994?) Dawes Galaxy, reluctantly but I've got to resist multiple-bike madness.

I bought this secondhand in 2006/7, and in early 2009 converted it from the stock Galaxy build to a Rivendell/US utility bike-inspired town/child-carrying/day-tripping do-anything machine. It has served me very well, and I've always been really pleased with the way this setup works and looks. The frame, brakes, rear hub and I think front rim are original; all else has been replaced (I'm not sure when the headset dates from, but it's fine).

It is 20" CTC / 21" CTT seat tube; 22" CTC top tube.

I've added the following:

VO postino handlebars with shellaced Rivendell cork grips *
Friction shifters *
Tektro FL-750 levers *
Nitto technomic stem
Nitto M12 (?I think; the one which attaches to the front forks rather than the canti bosses) front rack
Panaracer Pasela tyres front and rear; 700x35c *
Front Mavic T237D rim and shimano dynamo hub DH-7N32
Rear rim ST19 with parallax hub
Deore rear mech; RSX front
Stronglight Impact chainset 48/38/28T with MKS Sylvan pedals
7 speed rear cassette
SKS Chromoplastic guards. A small crack in the rear but perfectly serviceable.
Cables and outers replaced in June; chain in January.

*these parts are only 4 months old. The tyres have barely seen 150 miles. I just don't use it enough any more.

There are small marks on the frame as you'd expect given its age, but it is in good overall condition and has been well-maintained. The only bad bits are (a) there is a small dent on the chain stay (see pic), I think probably from when someone had mounted a stand in the past. It has never been a problem and hasn't cracked or worsened since I've had it; and (b) the front rim is nearing the end of its life. I had it built up with a dynamo hub in early 2009 but really should have replaced the rim, I guess. It's ok but I would change it soon.

Without Brooks B17 £250
With Brooks B17 £275

(bell, child seat, panniers and dirt not included (I will clean it!) The rear rack is specific to a slide-on child seat so I'd like to keep that if possible - but if it's a deal-breaker then I will include it.)

I'm in Norwich but can post at cost. Do let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• dawes1.JPG
    dawes1.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 680
  • dawes3.JPG
    dawes3.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 680
  • dawes2.JPG
    dawes2.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 680
  • dawes4.JPG
    dawes4.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 679
  • dawesdent.JPG
    dawesdent.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 680
Price reduction: £275 without Brooks, £300 with.
Will consider splitting if I don't sell complete and if there's interest in any bits.

Price reduction: £250 without brooks / £275 with.
I will definitely need to hang onto the rack though as we're going to use it and the child seat on my wife's bike.

Back