Overyburys Road Bike (700c) for sale - Very Good Condition

Trekbury

Retro Newbie
More details to follow and photos, but for now:-

I went to Uni' with Andy Powell's sister, so when I got my other bike mangled under a car after my finals, I commissioned an Overburys direct through her - I recall I got about £10 discount! I have the original written receipt. It's 531, I think ST and I am pretty sure DB and including the forks, but I will confirm all that. Can't recall the equipment, but I would suggest the only item of interest other than the frame will be the Andy Powell built wheels with SS double butted spokes. 24" Frame - I am 6' or so and the seat post is set out 3-4 inches, so should suit anyone around 5'10 to 6'2" I would estimate.

Bought in 1986, it got intermittent use up until 1995 when it made way for an MTB and I stopped road cycling. Since then it has been dry stored and not been ridden, moved about or looked at save a few squirts of WD40 over the whole thing to keep it in good condition.

I did a couple of cycling holidays over the Alps with it, but it really never got a huge amount of use other than that and the training I did for those two holidays.

Job for the weekend to get the cobwebs off it and takes some photos.

For now please just express an interest - I know these are rarer than hen's teeth and a bit collectable, so I am not going to sell it for a tenner to the first reply. I saw one on e-bay go for over £200. May take me a while to sell it, but after 18 years out of use, another few weeks ain't going to matter. I am also attached to it because of the memories of those two holidays, which is really why I still have it, so it needs to go somewhere it will be appreciated, loved and used. Yes I could keep it, but I need to downsize my life and de-clutter.

I just see forum rules say a price is compulsory. Let's say offers around £250 - perhaps I am dreaming, but that e-bay sale set me thinking... And I see an Overbury MTB advertised for £450. Make me an offer, tempt me!

Re: Overyburys Road Bike (700c) for sale - Very Good Conditi

Put me at the front of the queue please.

Could you tell me where the bike is and pics would be interesting too.

Second in Queue (as long as Mr Sausagefingers is only voyeur for this! :D )

PS Posted in the other ad, so ignore that!

Very interested, so put me third in line for this pending photo's,been looking for something different for a while so fingers crossed!

Thanks for the interest - took it out today to get a good look at it and give it a once over. Going to take it for a spin tomorrow too; just in case I am tempted to go soft and keep hold of it.

I will get some pictures up too. I want to take some really detailed photos so you guys can really see what's on offer. Watch this space.

Can't recall if anyone asked where I am if they want to view, but on the off chance someone is close enough, I am not far from Wimborne in Dorset.

Some component details:-

Weinmann concave rims with brass ferrules - chosen for being bomb proof, and a bit of a rarity it seems; they are inherently very strong, but not so easy to clean, on Shimano 600 hubs which have (I think) rubber bearing seals. SS double butted spokes - I am so glad I had those - quick wipe and they are like new, but they were not the norm back then.
Stronglight double crankset
Suntour Mountech front mech
Shimano rear mech.
Six speed Shimano 600 freewheel.
Shimano cantilever brakes.
Micro-adjust seat post and Overbury's Anatomic Saddle (I think a re-badged Selle-Royale - fairly comfortable - must have been as I did not change it)

All gears running smoothly, even silkily I would say.

Many braze on bosses including 2 water bottles, top brake cable, gear levers. Front pannier mounts.
Confirmed 531 ST butted tubing forks and stays.

Total bike miles from new 2530 (Huret cyclometer - no flat batteries on those to lose your record!)

Overyburys "Connoisseur S" Road Bike (700c) for sale - VGC

Just found the receipt - It's called a "Connoisseur S". £350 new - that's £875 in todays money (According to ONS).

Can I put myself in t' queue. How long is the top tube?

Here's a pic that the seller sent me. I'd have been interested, but too big for my ickle legs....

Hope it helps with the sale! :D

Back