Raleigh Special Products 853 - Dura Ace £550 **SOLD**

fiveone8

Retro Newbie
For Sale is my mid 90's Raleigh Special Products 853 cycle with Shimano Dura Ace groupset. I have had the machine about 2 months having come across it in a LBS, it had been taken in as a part exchange for a new Cannodale. The bike was covered in another bike shops stickers with the owners name on the top tube as though the machine was raced at some time. On ringing the former owner at said bike shop & trying to get info from him was like trying to prise open a limpet although he did reluctantly say that he'd probably bought it from a Raleigh Pro in the 90's after they'd used it for the season. The frame has a H prefix serial number under the bottom bracket.

I've been using it as my main machine in the recent hot weather and would love to keep it and complete a full renovation on the frame but time and kids don't allow. I'd appreciate any history on the marque, my knowledge is based on what I can find on here and the web in general. I'm making an educated guess that its about 96 due to the head badge although it does appear to have been resprayed at some time in it's life or the frame decals removed. Overall it is in great condition and will ride straight out of the box or make a great project for someone.

Spec as follows;

Red coloured 57cm Reynolds 853 Frame with a 560 mm top tube & straight/power forks. Race number, chain hanger, front mech and twin bottle cage braze ons.

ITM Super Italia Pro 260 Bars
ITM Eclypse Stem
Ritchey Logic Headset

Cat Eye Mity 8 Cycle Computer
Recent Cinelli Cork tape.

Dura Ace 7403 Dual Pivot Brake Calipers
Dura Ace 7400 STI Brake Levers

Dura Ace 7410 Front Mech
Dura Ace 7102 Rear Mech

Dura Ace 7410 Double Chainset 172.5 mm
Dura Ace 7410 Bottom Bracket
Look PP76 Carbon Pedals

Dura Ace Hyperglide 12 - 21 8 speed cassette
Dura Ace chain

Mavic Open SUP rims
Shimano Ultegra Hubs
Michelin Axial Pro Tyres

Selle San Marco Squadra Saddle
Kalloy Alloy Seat Post

Offers in the region of £550
any replies on this forum please. The machine will be going on e-bay with a view to breaking it down into parts.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Raleigh Special Products 853 - Dura Ace £550

Sorry, My error...57 cm - centre to top of seat post tube.

The bike had sold through e-bay but the lad broke down on route to collect from Leeds on Friday evening. I'm not sure what his intentions are so yes this is currently still available.

If the bike has been sold (offer to chaffer / acceptance) to the lad whose car has broken down then surely it cannot be available for sale ?

Shaun

I'm a big one for doing the right thing but the story goes like this...

Telephone call from lad driving over from Leeds to view having made an offer for said machine on e-bay. Lad rings up stating he'd broken down, in a village about 12 miles from my house.

Would I leave him stranded as his phone cuts off & him saying "I'm low on Battery" of course not. Sale or no sale I go out in my car with the bike in the back of my car to find him and give him some assistance. I duly locate lad in a pub and offer to give him a lift home to Leeds to collect said part for his car that he claimed would get him back on the road. Of course he could take the Raleigh with him at the same time.

As I would naturally be returning the other way anyway to complete the 90 mile round trip, I suggest that I could then bring him back to his car so he could repair it back at the roadside or bring a mate etc who could tow him home.

So far all offers are declined but 'hey ho' I then suggest that whilst he is waiting for help and if he can still afford to do the deal (I look at his very sad and very old rear engined 70's breakdown) would he like to have a look at the bike he came to view/purchase and maybe take it for a short spin. The latter is declined but he looks over the bike with a fine tooth comb promising to come back another day when his head was less of a shed and his car had been repatriated. I again assured him that I wouldn't slaughter him with negative feed back if he had changed his mind with the deal and left him to his own devices when he said I could help him no further.

So as I sit here writing, waiting in limbo for a purchaser who may never materialize or show him self again and I repeat ... The bike is still available.

Can I get your email to address to chat a little more?

fiveone8

Blimey, above and beyond the call of duty IMHO. He forfeits the sale as he fails to complete his side of the contract when you met him .............sell away :)

Cheers

Shaun

Back