SOLD 30spd 531 ST Audax/tourer Mavic Ceramics Stronglight

tonyf39

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
NOW SOLD
It is with deep regret & a several bucket loads of reluctance that I'm going to have to let this go.
Fantastic Geoffrey Hughes labelled 531ST frame, forks & stays in lovely BRG green. Geoffrey was a member of the Birkenhead CC for many years apparently & I was informed he even put together some bikes for a young Chris Boardman. I bought this with the intention of having a classic looking audax cum tourer & completely rebuilt it last year however due to poor health/lack of inclination to ride I've ridden it a dozen miles since.
Many of the parts were purchased NOS specific for this build, the rest have had very very light use.
23" c-c (23.5" c-t) & 22.5" c-c top tube, I'm 5ft 11, 32.5" IL and this is a cinch to ride, braze on threads on the seat stays to mount a rack so could easily be used as a full on tourer, modern low rider racks have fittings for forks with no additional eyelets halfway down the legs in any case.
The frame overall is in excellent condition with no dings, there's a couple of minor chips which are barely worth mentioning and a minor amount of chain rash on the chainstay though there is a more substantial scratch on the inside of the seat stay that has gone down to the undercoat, there are absolutely no signs of rust inside or out and no paint bubbling anywhere.
The bike has been built for audax & touring, the use of a Stronglight 110/74mm chainset means that rings are widely available and huge variations for individual preferences can be found easily. The 400LX front derailleur is able to handle both a decently large outer ring as well as a fairly small inner & works very well with the STI's with nice smooth changes (though it shouldn't by rights)

The full spec is:
Geoffrey Hughes- Reynolds 531ST frame, fork & stays
TANGE headset, perfect condition, nice and smooth.
Shimano 105 3x10 speed STI's - very light use, minor mark on nose of right faceplate
Shimano 105 long cage rear, perfect cond, bought new 12 miles use
Shimano 400LX front derailleur, perfect cond, bought new, 12 miles use
Shimano long drop dual pivot (nutted) calipers, the rear in the photo isn't matching but will be replaced with a NOS 105 bronze (8 speed era) as per the front which were bought again for this build
Shimano 105 12-27 10 sp cassette, 12 miles use
SRAM 10 speed chain with KMC connector (as the SRAM ones are rubbish!), 12 miles use
Stronglight Impact chainset with all alloy Zicral stronglight rings 50/36/26 rings, bought new for this so again 12 miles use.
Shimano 105 bottom bracket, NOS 12 miles use. Cup and cone job, smoother than outboard by a distance & looks nice too :)
Mavic Open SUP CD Ceramic/Dura Ace hubs, 36 DT SS double butted spokes, perfect mint barely used condition, these are really as new, not a mark anywhere, no hint of use on the rim, roll super smooth. cost mucho dinari which is reflected in the price. I can swap these out for Open 4 CD/Shimano 600 wheels in excellent condition for a reduction in the price.
25mm Continental Gatorskin front 12 miles use, Specialized Armadillo 28mm rear in superb cond (mileage unknown)
ITM Super Europa grooved bars 44cm outer-outer, wrapped in new Modolo Active Carbon tape, padded & moisture absorbing stuff that's plenty comfy.
SR forged quill stem 100mm, beautiful looking thing, barely a mark and one of two parts from the original build
Fluted alloy seatpost, the other original component, couple of minor/light scratches near the limit line but as it is set in the photo it is unblemished.
Brick lane bikes 'Brooks' Swallow copy saddle with centre cut out. Very nice condition bar a scuff on the leather underside of the connecting strap (which you can't see in any case) I do have other saddles in black that you can choose from.
SARRI frame fitting pump, works very well indeed & looks cracking IMO
new Zefal bottle cage
New SPD pedals & unfitted cleats with bolts, the pedals work with Shimano cleats fine but I will include the new pair anyway )
NOS Bluemels mudguards, bought & fitted for this build.

So all in all a very nice spec, she isn't heavy by any stretch all up as per the picture she is about 11-11.5kg
Asking price, well considering the kit and the quality I'm after £925 with the Ceramic wheels or £750 with the Open 4 CD wheels (which are in super condition)
I've full size photos of every aspect of the bike that I can send via email.
collection very much preferred from Letchworth Garden City though I would consider courier but only if fully insured. Given the cost of insuring the package(s) this could be fairly expensive (circa £40)

8869909912_dc69a810fa_b.jpg

Back