FS: 1976 Carlton (Worksop) Handbuilt 23" Road Bike £300

paperjohn1

Dirt Disciple
Road bike for sale, it was hand stripped and powder coated in 2011, all consumerbles were new (BB,Hset,Cables,Pads etc) little use since so it has to go. Mudguards included, don't want to post but I'm willing to meet on M1 J24-28 for collection.
Based in Nottingham.

Please use email in profile for contact as I'm not in much at the moment.

Can be supplied with other wheels if the price ain't right (please let me knowif it's too high).

Frame:
1976 Carlton (Worksop) 23" Frame and forks Reynolds 531 Tubing

Measurements:
Ctr BB to top seat tube-23"/590mm
Ctr seat tube to Ctr head tube- 22.5"/575mm
Standover height- 33.5"/855mm
Dropout width 125mm (pushed to 130mm for 8spd)

Wheels:
Front- Campag Sirroco 20spoke Aero Rim/Chorus Hub
Rear- Campag Zonda 16R 16 spoke Aero Rim/ Record Hub

Drive:
8 Spd Chorus cassette 11/23 Steel
PG971 Chain
Miche Team Chainset 172.5mm 52/42

Gears:
Chorus Rear Mech (short cage) 8spd
Chorus Ergo Shifters (new hoods) 8Spd
Sora Frt Mech

Brakes:
Shimano 105 Mk2

Pics Here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67547622@N ... 252316932/

PPG prefered
Email in profile
Cheers

Not sure that the frame is 1976..........under BB guides, rear brake cable on top of the top tube and the fork crown shape are an 80's thing.

Posting the frame number might clarify provenance.

Shaun

8274734020_cd140eca16_b.jpg

Could be an illusion due to the guards but those forks look a bit dodgy, i.e bent....

Frame

The date is in the frame number lads as is the place of manufacture, definitely 1976 and Worksop, very track orientated as you can see from the wheel clearance.
Mudgards included by the way. as it has no hangers of any kind except for a chain hanger.
Adjustable drop-outs too.

I know it's bad form to post about for sale items but that's not a 1976 frame.

In 1976 all the cables were above the BB, rear brake cables to the side of the TT and the stop for the rear mech was brazed on the top of the chainstay.

http://www.carltoncycles.me.uk/details/dating.htm

Post the frame number or use the above link.

Cheers

Shaun

I don't think the BB guides are concrete for determining dates; my '75 Quinn goes under the BB shell, but the '80 Quinn goes over. Both dates have been confirmed by the manufacturer.

I know Carlton did 'off the peg' frames, but I was under the impression they also did bespoke - in which case, couldn't the customer have specified?

Frame number will confirm either way.

Frame and forks

I'll give 3 months warranty on the frame and forks, it's the shoddy mudguard mounting but if you want photos of it without them just email me.
Frame no begins W76. This is a genuine sale and can people please not "troll", I thought this was a civilised forum?[/quote]

I don't think it is trolling to try and correctly identify a bike. And this is even more important if said bike is for sale.

Now I am happy to be corrected on this, but my understanding (having researched this for my Carlton Professional) is that the serial number on all Carltons from this period should start with two letters. W for Worksop, then a second letter for the month of manufacture, and it is the first number after these letters that then sets the year of manufacture.

After Worksop closed down (in 1981) Raleigh continued to use the W prefix on Carlton branded bikes for a few more years. Maybe this bike is from this era?

As above, it's not trolling to correctly identify "for sale" items and indeed the standard numbering in 1976 was two letters folowed by a year code and individual number........so the frame is not a 1976 Carlton...

For interest, the cutout lugs might make it worth more if the maker can be identified :D

Does it have 3 slots cut into the bottom bracket?

Shaun

Latest posts

Back