Upgraded Dawes Galaxy. 60cm. £395. NOW SOLD.

Lycanthropunk

Dirt Disciple
I like to think that this is not one of your usual run-of-the-mill Galaxies! I upgraded almost everything before taking it on a tour of France and Belgium earlier this year. I wanted a bike which, at first glance, looks like your usual Galaxy and therefore might deter thieves, but I wanted it to be heavy duty and ultra reliable, with a few nice touches not immediately identified.

Here are the upgrades:

I swapped the standard 48/38/28 crankset for a 46/34/24 Spa Cycles TD-2 Touring Triple Chainset with Zicral Rings.

I swapped the original 7 speed 12-32 cassette to a 9 speed 11-36 SRAM cassette, which combined with the chainset provides all the gears you'd need for fully loaded touring (I went up steep hills with ease, fully loaded). You don't see many Galaxies around with a 11-36 on the back, and it shifts perfectly.

Upgraded the downtube shifters to Dura-ace. Flawless action. Friction front, indexed back.

I swapped the wheels to Ryde Rigida Andra 40. These are about as strong as you can get.

I added a beautiful brown Brooks B17, and brown leather look bar tape. It also comes with a Tubus Logo rack, which is also as good as you can get.

I also put Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard 700cx32 on the front, and a Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700cx32 on the rear.

It was a real labour of love. It's heavier than the original build, but still flies along at a swift pace. The Reynolds 531 frame and forks make for a very comfortable ride.

It's 60cm, and for reference I am 5'11" and it fits great. I would say it would be suitable for anyone between 5'10" and 6'2". It's a more comfortable, upright ride than my previous 57cm Galaxy.

The only reason I'm selling it is because I have recently moved to the foot of the Pentlands in Edinburgh, and only having enough space for one bike, I really want something off-road.

I'm looking for only £395 which is half the cost of the upgrades alone! I would also consider a swap for a rigid bikepacking bike like a Genesis Longitude, Marin Pine Mountain (newer model), or Surly ECR/Pugsley/Krampus or something similar (I would add cash for a more expensive bike, of course).

Pick up ONLY from South Edinburgh.

Attachments

• IMAG0011small.jpg
    IMAG0011small.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMAG0012small.jpg
    IMAG0012small.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMAG0013small.jpg
    IMAG0013small.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMAG0014small.jpg