1946 Claud Butler

Hi, I have some quotes in the pipeline but for the moment Fedex want UK pounds 160 and UPS 210. These are airfreight, seafreight is a non-starter due to the minimal weight and all the minimums that would accrue with sea. As far as I can calculate the bike would be rated on it's volume weight which is 71k so the smaller the carton the cheaper it will be. Obviously the bike isn't packed up yet but I would make it as small as possible but still with massive amounts of bubblewrap and shielding material to obviate damage. I'll get back to you again soon.

Hi Arol,
I have been getting quotes from a lot of shippers and nothing is coming out cheaper than Fedex. Even requesting it shipped just to Boston then you pick up from there was over 200 uk pounds. One thing a forwarder mentioned was that there may be some import duty to pay. I could provide a lesser value written invoice which would help you some.
So it looks like it would be uk pounds 160 to you. I would get a bike carton from my local shop and stuff it full of bubble wrap to protect. I wouldn't charge you for packing. Let me know if you want to go ahead, you can pay me via paypal which I think would be the best way. If you decide not to go for the bike can you also let me know just so I can keep it up for sale. Hope to hear from you.
Cheers

Hi
I would like to go forward with the sale. Your price was 690 pounds ono plus shipping. I would like to get it for 600 plus shipping which would get my price at around $1000 even with the understanding that you are not charging me for shipping. I presume nothing came out of the jumble so there would be no additional charges. Are you certain it is 58 ctt? That is the largest size I can ride. Six speed cluster?

Thanks

Re: Re:

surf239":31z5q961 said:
Why are you reaching out to me about a serial number on a steerer tube?

If serial number on the steerer tube matches that on the underside of the BB shell, than the frame can be considered intact and original.

I have caveats though, that the fork is original to the frame. The frame has mudguard eyes integrated with the the rear dropout whereas the forks have boxed mudguard eyes brazed on the legs. Most vintage CB frame-sets I have seen have either boxed mudguard eyes front and rear, brazed on fork legs and rear stays, respectively, or they have mudguard eyes integrated with the dropouts front and rear. Mixing the two is unusual, to say the least.

In addition to that, forks don't look to be Claud Butler, in general. Fork crown has some sort of early Nervex patters, and I have yet to see any Claud Butler forks with such fork crown pattern. Perhaps - if serial number on fork steerer matches the one on the BB shell - this may be the first one :)

Notwithstanding anything in the foregoing, the forks do look a quality and indeed period item.

Back