83.5 KB · Views: 1,226
  • rotrax_detail_8.jpg
    rotrax_detail_8.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,226
  • rotrax_detail_7.jpg
    rotrax_detail_7.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,227
Re: Rotrax 'Concours' - 1959 - Road / Track

Hi Dave. Thanks for the comments and link to your own, or what was once your own. 1959 too! Very nice. I've not seen many Concours models, and fewer road/track ones. Nice to see another. Do you miss it? I don't doubt I'll regret selling this, it rides beautifully. But since restoration and rebuilding with period parts, it's barely seen the outdoors.

I do like what you say about the lugs being close to Hetchins quality. They really are, and are quite stunning. Of course the fancy lug pattern is nice, but the clean cutting, brazing and how beautifully feathered down they are is what really impresses. To be honest, I've never liked the really ornate Hetchins. They always have the look of some kind of Baroque over embellished fireplace to me! Blasphemy of course! In many ways, I actually prefer a simple but perfectly fillet brazed frame or perhaps one of the simpler bi-lam patterns.

Small reduction - £50 off.

I'd be more than happy and interested to take comments on price...

Have I grossly over estimated value? Or it needs a rather specific collector? Wrong era for here? Or have to go to eBay? (Although don't fancy the perils of that). Alternatively, I'll give it a month or two and part it out.

Only because you ask (and note that I am no longer as focussed as I used to be on such machines), I find it difficult to believe that it would do more than a grand on even a good ebay day. It would probably fetch approaching what you are seeking IF geared and with top class near contemporary kit.

Re:

Thanks for the comments. Appreciated. Yes, I’m less focused on fixed / track machines and market for older bikes, so that’s why I was asking. I’ve rarely seen some of the components I have on this in such condition - hubs, pedals particularly, so that’s maybe why my thinking was off. Still, in no rush really, so I’ll see how it fares. Again, thanks, useful to get your opinion.

Re:

Stunning restoration of a beautiful machine. Sadly, others are right about what it might fetch. Above a grand is definitely pushing it. I say this as a total Rotrax nut (1954 Concours; 1951 Vel d'Hiv; 1957 La Premiere and a 1949 Super Course). None are restored to that standard but all fantastic to ride and look at. National Hill Climb championship was won fairly recently by Tavis Walker on a 1950 Super Course.
For comparison, Hilary Stone sold a perfectly restored, geared, Super Course with period correct components and chrome for around £1200, last year, and he is hardly noted for being cheap! I hope you keep the bike complete and find a new owner to cherish it. Remember it fondly.

Many thanks Geoffrey.

Appreciate the kind words on the restoration. And especially thanks for the advice on value, good to receive words from someone who is a "total Rotrax nut". It unfortunately only takes a few such words from a likeminded fellow to make me start thinking about keeping it again!

I bought it and restored about 5 or 6 years ago I think. Prices were a bit nuts at the time. I was overly influenced by that and my own outlay, as well as not wanting to undervalue. I should've done a bit more current research first. Hopefully I've not offended anyone. I'll likely reduce the price a bit for now and maybe add ONO but need to have a think if I still want to sell if value is around a grand. I might even take the post down in a bit, take some new photos, have a ponder and readvertise later now I have a better idea.

As you say, it would be nice to keep it complete. But as it came to me as just the frame and fork, I'm not totally precious about that. I've always wondered if I should've built it with slightly later parts. Never been entirely happy with the Dunlop Stainless Lightweight rims... a tad old hat on such a machine by 1959 don't you think? Often thought it would be nicer with an early Campagnolo crankset rather than the cottered one too. I think a lot of people prefer to make their own decisions and build up themselves, I know I do, way more fun. Then I'd have to value all the parts though! If it was all original I would of course not consider splitting it.

I managed to find mention of Tavis Walker and his Rotrax. Sadly the photos were gone from the article though... https://traumfahrrad.com/2012/10/21/2400/

Back