Raleigh Elan 1990 (23.5") *pricedrop* £225

Chas_T

Retro Newbie
Hello!

This has been a bit of a labour of love to restore. A Raleigh Elan (from 1990, I believe). 23.5" (580mm c-c) with a 565mm toptube (c-c) so suit someone around 5'10". Reynolds 501 tubing with Shimano Exage groupset (except downtube shifters which are 105). Top of its range when new.

Paintwork had slightly deteriorated near the seat clamp, but I didn’t want to respray the whole frame – I wanted to preserve that rather ‘unique’ paint job (it has tiny blue and pink flecks) so patched it in as best I could. Original bartape was two-tone and faded from white on the tops to green at the bar ends - totally unobtainable these days, so opted for 'white with green showing through the holes'. (Saddle should be a grey faux-suede, and the pedals are wrong, but hey).

All bearings replaced, new chain, cassette, brake and gear cables (inners and outers), brakeblocks, seatbolt, bartape, tyres, tubes and new toeclips with leather straps. Even recreated the graphics and had replacement decals printed. Serviced the pedals and wheels, and replaced the hoods and saddle with retro parts in good condition. Original Raleigh bottle cage. Wheels (grey Alesa rims on Shimano hubs) are smooth and true with loads of braking surface. Perfect for that Eroica event, or would make someone a cheap training bike, a nice commuter or fit some skinny mudguards and it’s a Winter bike. Sweet as a nut and rides like a sewing machine.

18268347_10154908943464300_4612952120626511889_n.jpg

Linky to loadsa flickr pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/135341572 ... 3441371286

£225. PM me with any Qs, or if you want better pictures.
chas(dot)thursfield(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Latest posts

Back