Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

9 speed stuff - SORTED, THANKS
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=385398

Author:  petitpal [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 pm ]
Post subject:  9 speed stuff - SORTED, THANKS

So building a bike for my daughter, and going to put a 9 speed on the back. So I'm after a nice 9 speed rear derailleur, cassette and separate shifter unit. For pref I'd like a min of STX (or equiv SRAM) but I'm also on a budget (aren't we all) - so although I'm being as picky as I can be (it's for my girl after all!) - I do know there are limits!

What you got? :)

Cheerio and thanks,
Paul.

Author:  RickTheUncivil [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 9 speed stuff

wheres your line on aesthetics? Can get better worn kit or like new basic kit for similar money.

Shifter and mech shouldn't be a problem, loads of spare cassettes too (most are 8 speed but there are a few 9's in there last time I checked). If you are happy with the lived-in look it widens the options a bit.

Cheers

Author:  legrandefromage [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:45 pm ]

I have a brand new 9spd Sram cassette and brand new Deore rear mech for not a lot posted

Author:  petitpal [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re:

Hmmm - trying to get a nice balance. It's her first 26" wheel bike so I don't want tatty and also trying to get the best I can get for a budget. Managed to get a nice aet of XT V's in near nos for 28 quid (both ends) on here and a v. nice black XT hollowtech crank and BB on ebay for 30 quid (with stripped drive side pedal thread - but fixed that easily enough). So something in the STX or LX range - partly because of the black. Theme of the build is primarily satin black with purple anno... if that helps :D

Author:  foz [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 pm ]

I recently bought a brand new shimano altus M2000 rear mech and matching shifter from my LBS, I can't remember exactly but they were no more than 30 quid for both. might be worth looking at? depends what your budget is I imagine.

Author:  legrandefromage [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 pm ]

Black deore mech! Black!

Cassette is silver though

<pouts lip shuffles feet>

It wasn't gonna be a lot of money either...

Author:  petitpal [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:50 pm ]

Have you got any pics of your mech? No sniggering...

(Could be interested in that :) )

Author:  legrandefromage [ Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:57 am ]

Author:  petitpal [ Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 am ]

What kind of wonga were you thinking?

Author:  legrandefromage [ Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:59 am ]

I was looking at £25 posted for a brrrrraaaand new cassette and rear mech

11 -32

Author:  petitpal [ Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:04 am ]

Sounds good :) One last question though (not wanting to go all Columbo) are there any limitations for the deore in terms of what shifter unit I need? Thinking maybe cable pull or something? I'm lost once it's more modern than 1997

Author:  legrandefromage [ Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 am ]

Front shifting is the only part you need to carefully match. Rears can be mixed and matched almost all the way to ten speed.

*one of these mechs is on my neighbours 7spd Carerra to replace that god awful Tourney thing.

Author:  petitpal [ Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:12 am ]

Thanks. I'm avoiding a front shifter for now as I think it will just confuse her!

Cool though - let me know payment details and the rear mech / cassette would be brilliant, 6thanks.

Just need a shifter unit now! Anyone? (Did you say that you had some Rick?)

Author:  RickTheUncivil [ Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:16 am ]

I'll be in the shed tonight I'll see what I can find.

Author:  petitpal [ Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Re:

RickTheUncivil wrote:
I'll be in the shed tonight I'll see what I can find.

Awesome thanks - looking for STX / XT shifter ideally - rear mech's are always pricey so was happier to compromise there :) (That's why I always used to run an LX (RD-M567) back in the day :) )

Author:  PeterPerfect [ Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:18 pm ]

Are you going with a double or triple 9 speed ?

Author:  d8mok [ Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:37 pm ]

I’ve got a pair of XT M750 shifters that Work as expected. They are missing the indicator windows though. £10 plus post if you want them.

Author:  petitpal [ Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:46 pm ]

Sorry both - complete forgot to update the post to say that this is sorted now (apart from my hunt for a purple/silver chain :D) :) Thanks anyway!