Adam_S

Retro Guru
Hi

I'm after any of the following forks with a 1 1/8" steerer

RC36 Pro Class II
RC38
RC39
RC40

Failing that, any other Pace fork with 80mm travel and a disc mount will do but I think that list pretty much covers it anyway.

If you have a pair knocking around, please get in touch. I will give you money if you promise to send me a fork.

I have a used Pace fork at home - not sure what kind of fork. 80 or 100mm, but not more, spring operated (no air spring), Oil damping, Remote Lockout installed. I did an oil change a few weeks ago, seals and o-rings looked good, but the black stanchions are not "all black" anymore (pre-owner did not clean it regulary, loose of color, but no deep scratches). It has carbon lowers, Disc mount, V-Brake studs incl. :)

I have it now "in stock" for emergency replacement and could offer to take pictures - if you feel in need, just drop me a message...

Any chance of a piccy? I suspect it might be a Pro Class II as I think that was the first one with the lockout.

I think it may be a Rc 38? But really not sure.

If you a little Patient, I can offer pics. Need to come back to my storage again, and I am unsure if I can get there before Holidays...

No rush, it's for a very long term project.

If they don't have an air spring then I doubt they're RC38's. Do they have one brace on them or two? What colour are the upper legs?

Like these ones?

5506385461_71ba18a0d5.jpg

Right-o

What you have there my friend are a pair of RC36 Stealths. They're from the same year as the RC38's but they have a coil spring in them instead of the air spring in the RC38.

Like most of Pace's forks, they are very good when they're clean and working properly but there were a lot of problems with that particular fork. In fact those forks are probably the design that started the road to ruin for Pace. IIRC there were some quality control problems with various bits of the fork and the original seals were really bad at keeping mud out.

It should be possible to set them up as 80mm as there is a small spring you can take out of the main spring stack which reduces the travel down from 100mm so they should fit the frame I've got. Because of the problems with that fork I'm a little wary though.

Are you the original owner of the fork or did you get them from somebody else? Do you have any information about the service history of the fork at all? A lot of these had to go back to Pace for a service at some point to sort out various problems. Do you know if this pair ever had that done? Also, do you know if they've got the original seals or have they been replaced at some point?

I am not the first owner. I bought it used, no working Lockout. And I have no history for the fork.

I just opened it up, take it apart, inspect the internals and replaced 2 O-rings, that are woren. I am a good mechanic, doing myself services on most forks, incl. varios leftys.

As Pace Forks are rare, I have no reference to tell you, if the seals are replaced or original. The lack of function of the lockout was a result of too less oil at the damper, I refilled it after cleaning and regreased the seals. Actually it is working fine, according to the one and only testride I did.

I can offer you to send you pictures and think of a price, that is fair for both of us. I dont want to reduce or expand the travel, it would be up to you, but I can messure how much vertical movement is there ATM. ;-)

Latest posts

Back