WTD:Cannondale Castle Tool KT004 - to borrow or to buy

Dickyboy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
already bought the super castle tool which didn't fit :( so after the £80 jobbie if anyone has one i can buy cheaper or borrow for a few quid - thanks

Re:

Anyone? really don't want to have to fork out £80 for one and everything else is pretty much sorted out just waiting for forks to be repaired :(

Re:

One of these on e-bay " Cannondale Lefty Cartridge Tool Damper Tool pre-2001 " £22 free post is that what you are looking for ? or is it this one from qwerty " Cannondale Castle Tool KT004" £78 :?:

Re:

these tools were originally only available to dealers as cannondale didn't want the DIY mechanic to work on them hence their rarity.

sounds dumb but why are you bothering to do it yourself? the tool is £80 and a dealer should charge 90 to 135 (depending on whether you do the cartidge aswel) for the whole strip and rebuild bearing in mind that if you get it in pieces and then you discover you need parts the you then have to order those parts, so assuming you get the tool and then attempt a strip and then need parts you are looking at having your fork in bits potentially for a while, whereas a dealer could take the fork apart, work on it and have the parts in stock to rebuild it without the wait.

it's not that i don't approve of you doing it but i know they are a pain to do having worked in a cannondale dealer and i've seen the mess people make when they attempt it themselves if they don't have the correct tools or knowledge.

Re:

Some people make there own , one because they can and two i'am too tight to part with the money also how does it work :facepalm:

Do a search on ebay the company in America that sells the Ringle replica bottle cages, they sell a lot of Cannondale tools.

Thanks for replies, want to do it myself because I like keeping things alive that are no longer really viable if you have to pay mechanics to keep them going, I know for a start that a cannondale dealer or even independent service would want to replace the bearings which would kill the project dead & I already have the required seal kit ready to fit :) by the looks of it I should be able to extend the tool I already have, just thought I'd give it one more go on here before I resorted to the hack saw & bodge method.

Edit - I bought the frame & fork knowing it was borked at my risk basis, so quite prepared to get into a mess & fit a carbon rigid fork (with suitable adaptors) if necessary.

Back