SORTED. SRAM 9 speed rear derailleur.

GSB

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As above.

EDIT: Found the grip shifter, just need a rear mech now.

I'm currently in the final stages of rebuilding an electrically powered hard tail MTB. Lots of learning from my mk1 version has led to the desire for the dreaded grip shift...

It's needed because its really not possible to control throttle and gears with one hand without causing serious stability issues when using high power levels (I'm using a small computer to cap the power to the legal limit of 250W for road use, but it'll produce 4 times that power when you turn it up to eleven). Also, the bulk of the throttle sensor, plus the brakes and essential kill switch make the right bar rather crowded, to the point where conventional shifters won't fit without interference. So to keep my right hand free for throttle control, I'm going to fit a 9 speed grip shift to my left bar instead.

Ideally, I'd like one that's compatible with the shimano mech I already have, but I imagine that the Sram specific gripshifts are rather more common so a matching mech and shifter may be easier to procure.

I'm not to precious about age, it doesn't have to be mint, but it does need to look at least half decent and most importantly be fully functional without any play. Pumping a kilowatt through the driveline tends to expose any misalignment with a spectacular explosion of noise and broken chain links!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 296
Re: Sram 9 speed derailleur and gripshift.

I've got a couple of different 9 sp SRAM gripshifts but no mech. Let me know if you want the details.
A mate of mine has a super-expensive Boulder, Colorado made full sus e-mtb (can't remember the make) with a similar shifting arrangement. Fox forks, Mavic Crosstrail wheels etc. & I've not been able to get him off road on it yet - such a waste!

Love some details, feel free to PM me or post them here.

My bike is not quite so exotic as your friends. Its neither expensive (its a second hand Felt Q650 hardtail frame, wearing Mavic Crossmax ST's with spiked ice and snow tyres, a look fournales linkage fork, and hope 4 pot brakes - all purchased from members here on Retrobikes). It will be pretty much "as new" once its all together though, since its being powdercoated next week. It won't be a nannied cycle though, this bike is being built to work for a living since the appeal of practically infinite mpg is hard to resist. I currently spend about £60 a week on petrol, or £3200ish per year, just to go to work and back. I cycle during the summer, but doing 34 miles a day is a pita when you'd rather not be pedalling your plums off. So, the idea of the ebike was born. Charged up at work ;) it'll cut my fuel bill down to nothing, and pay for itself in about 4 months. I hate riding on road, living in London road riding is far from pleasurable, but a fluke of geography means that my commute is all off road. 17 miles of canals, bridle ways and forest dirt tracks connect my home to the industrial park where I work, so off roading is the only option!

Look like they'll do the job just fine. I don't need the front one since I'm running 1x 9 gearing, how much would you like sir?

Is this something you would like? In mint condition

Attachments

• DSC_0062.jpg
    DSC_0062.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 260

Yep, that'll do to if the price is right...

As I say, this isn't the sort of concourse winning work of art retro build we usually see on this site, so I'm not after a certain year, or type or colour of rivets. This bike will be a working, use everyday, probably going to be crashed quite often, hyperactive hard tail. As such age and looks are secondary to pivot play and performance.

GSB":7gj4jmi0 said:
Look like they'll do the job just fine. I don't need the front one since I'm running 1x 9 gearing, how much would you like sir?

Looking for £15 the pair. Don't want to split 'em as a Sram ESP left shifter isn't particularly appealing on its own.

S8-Tom":1v13m2m7 said:
GSB":1v13m2m7 said:

Looking for £15 the pair. Don't want to split 'em as a Sram ESP left shifter isn't particularly appealing on its own.

Hadn't thought of that... :facepalm:

Re: Sram 9 speed rear derailleur.

Update,

Still looking for a SRAM rear mech.

I've got S8-Tom's shifters on the way now.

Luc33, many thanks for your offer, but your kit is just far to nice to abuse in the manner that I have in mind. It won't look or perform nearly as nicely once it's had the electrical equivalent of 3 or 4 Bradley Wiggins churned through it for a few hours. I'm not expecting fantastic lifespans from my driveline components!

Back