WTD: A bike for a friend, cheap!

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm going to call upon the generosity and kindness of fellow Retrobikers here :)

I have a friend (well, it's her 14 year old son actually) who is looking to buy a bike. They're not what you'd call well off, as she's a lone parent.

Anyway, long story short - he sent me a message on Facebook last night, asking for my advice on a bike which he'd seen for sale on Gumtree. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it wasn't even worth the £45 asking price that the seller had put on it. It was a BSO, and a very poor condition one at that.

This got me wondering whether we might be able to help him out a little bit. He's got a budget of £75 maximum and I've said that I'd see what I could do.

He's not into mountain biking as such - he just wants a mountain bike which will get him from A to B and I was thinking that perhaps between us we could come up with something.

I'm open to suggestions :D

I have a ridgeback 603? i think, needs a front wheel but its good to go for 35 quid. light alloy frame rigid with i think acera on it.

Chute55uk":9e340vf8 said:
I have a ridgeback 603? i think, needs a front wheel but its good to go for 35 quid. light alloy frame rigid with i think acera on it.

Is there any chance you could shoot a picture over to me? I can show him his options then and he can choose one :D

If you fancied building one, I have everything except the frame and forks you could have for cheap. SRAM 8sp bits, wheels, etc.

Back