Strange Request: Headset Press

Bike Man

Dirt Disciple
Hello people. I have a strange request, has anyone in the London area got a headset press I could borrow please? went to my local LBS who wanted an extortionate amount just to put a headset in (£35) :( . Would really appreciate the help, thanks.

Thanks :) , will look into that option but was hoping to get away without spending any money as I'll only use it the once & then its redundant. Will wait a bit & if no one can help then I'll get one.

xizang":48u8e0ng said:
Use a piece of wood and a hammer. Just take it easy. It's all I've ever used.

^^^ this. I've never understood why people get SO worked up about headsets. it it doesn't go in easy, you're doing it wrong. Lots of grease too.

Get a length of threaded rod. 2 large washers. 2 nuts and make your own?

Costs about £5 max and you have one forever. Same with a headset removal tool. Get an old seatpost that you'll never use again. Cut 3 slits into the bottom about 4" up the post so that it can flare to the size of your steerer tube and you're set

sex one":2ul3q7qu said:
Get a length of threaded rod. 2 large washers. 2 nuts and make your own?

Costs about £5 max and you have one forever.

The one on e-bay's £4.98

I expect you'll already have a hammer and a piece of wood :xmas-wink:

Thanks for advice guys, I've tried the piece of wood & mallet option before but because I've got a new expensive frame I wanted to be a little bit how can I put it: Gentler on the headtube instead of banging away with grease all over the place. Anyway I think I'll try the threaded bar option & head down to the local plumbers shop.

used blocks and hammers, used the threaded bar, go fed up with cups going in at an angle.

bought one of these.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/cycl ... /aid:22688

best bike tool i ever bought

cant see how the park and others ones justify the £100+ price tag when this is exactly the same

i can fit a headset in minutes , effortlessly, both cups at the same time, perfectly fitted every time

2 days to arrive and will definitely last longer than me

Back