WTD- Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub with coaster brake

rollodes

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi

Bit random but my kid carrying bike (a triobike) has one of these internal hubs in a 26" wheel, but the hub's finally died. They seem quite hard to find nowerdays. Anyone got one kicking around?

Rollo

Me. I have a couple lying around that I'll never use.

Will be heavy to post though. Which variant is on the bike? You can probably just swap the internals...

Just saw it's a Triobike from Denmark.

That's not such an old bike - will easily take the new internals.

Send me a PM and can troubleshoot the symptoms for you.

Legend! The problem started when I was cycling along. It just seized up as the coaster brake arm had become unsecured. It had rotated a lot I think and just locked solid. Being relatively handy I had a poke around and determined it was beyond my skill set. Took it to lbs and they said the coaster brake was buggered and the axle was bent, and it was kaput. As for model, I'm not sure as it's still at the bike shop. It looks like this picture here though: http://www.konstantin.shemyak.com/blog/ ... Nexus7.jpg
What do you think Mr hub-doctor?

Yours

Rollo

How on earth the brake arm became unsecured is a mystery to me.... But yes - that would indeed kill the hub internals. I've only ever seen it happen where the band-on fitting has snapped or where the bolt wasn't done up properly after a tyre change. It's not cost effective to change axles and drivers etc... just bang a new set of internals in and you'll be fine.

Just need to know which number comes after SG7C - printed on the hub shell. But one of the ones I have is bound to fit.

Hi!

It is an SG7C-18. does that match with any of yours?

Quite exciting to think that it can be fixed without rebuilding the whole wheel.

Mine's an older C-21 so would just need to check with some Shimano contacts..... I think it'll be OK but better to be 100% sure. There are some combinations that don't work but I think it's only down to the covers....

Turns out that what I have won't fit - the dustcap is different and unbodgeably different.

HOWEVER.....

The hub is complete, with Alloy not steel shell - so "better"

OR I can get you a set of new internals in my business capacity but they won't be cheap.....

Back