165mm eye to eye 38mm - 45mm stroke rear shock

hawkhill97

Retro Guru
Looking for a cheap-ish replacement rear shock for my 2000 Marin Mount Vision.

Currently has a 165x45 SID, but from a bit of googling 165x38 works too and may have been original spec.

Not too fussy about air or coil, though adjustable rebound damping is a must. Something like a fox float would do the job nicely.

Anyone got anything suitable kicking around?

Re:

Hi, I have a couple of spare dampers - a black Sid dual air, a coil Fox X2, and a Fox Alps (that may need a service). Bought them to try different damping configurations for my Ibis Bow-Ti - all in 165x38 of course.

Re:

If your bowti is the one posted up on here in reader's builds I remember it, lovely build!

The dual air SID could be ideal - how much are you looking for it? +/- chambers both holding air ok?

Re:

Hi, I’d say 50€ for the Sid. I haven’t used it for ages, so I can’t swear that it still holds air, but as I bought it it did. I’ll test it today and keep you posted.
Don’t remember posting my Bow here, so the one you saw was probably another one. I’ll send one shortly ;-)

Re:

Here’s my Bow - now with Marzocchi Atom sport and Fox Alps 4R, XTR m952 group!

Attachments

• 7FFF1892-86C4-4423-BCBC-ACA36AA38C50.jpeg
    7FFF1892-86C4-4423-BCBC-ACA36AA38C50.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 434
Re: Re:

hawkhill97":1fag6d26 said:
If your bowti is the one posted up on here in reader's builds I remember it, lovely build!

The dual air SID could be ideal - how much are you looking for it? +/- chambers both holding air ok?

Hi the positive chamber holds 150 psi for 24 hours with no measurable loss. But the negative chamber (inflated to 150 psi as well) was totally empty after 24 hours. Pressure measurement in the negative chamber is not easy due to the low volume, but considering the drop from 150 psi to 0 I'd say it simply doesn't hold air at all...

This means that the shock needs maintenance and possibly new seals. => price drop 35€.

Re:

Thanks for checking - same problem as with mine so I'll pass on that one. Looking at a fox float advertised elsewhere which may do the trick.

Re:

Ok no problem, I’ll maybe try to fix that myself later if I find the time, spare parts and instructions.
Good ride with a Fox then ;-)

Re:

Cheers! If I get stuck the coil fox could also work. I'd rather an air shock for preference but anything the right size that works is much better than the current situation!

Back