Long shot and in considerable pain - Chris King griplock

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Owing to incompetence of previous owner/technician in installing a Chris King headset, I am in need of a replacement top race ring 1 and 1/8, griplock split ring wedge and top cover. This:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... p?id=37860

And Winstanley's has done the usual thing - put it on their website, taken the money, and then say 'well....we might be able to get it, might not....' Grrrrr. Now no longer showing on their website so have sent 'er can you tell me what's happening....' email.

Bromley Cycles neither answers the phone nor responds to emails, so I have a bike just sitting there unable to move.

Does anyone have the Griplock components going spare? In decent condition? Money waiting.....

Thanks

Re:

You can fit a standard top race if you are struggling to find a grip lock version.

I do have a new grip lock assembly, but I also have the rest of the new headset so can't spare it I'm afraid.

Re:

Here you go, is this any good. Brand new in packet at £34.99

Ah-ha! Grip lock not grip nut.
Ignore me.

Attachments

• 63C28A2B-ED62-401A-98F7-DC60395BB947.jpeg
    63C28A2B-ED62-401A-98F7-DC60395BB947.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,027
Re:

Thanks guys - ishaw you tinker, dangling that in from of me and then whipping it away....

sigh...will need to do a high round of calls to shops I think.....

Which bits of the grip lock are damaged or missing? I bought a bike with a ck headset with grip lock that kept coming loose. Turned out it just needed an o-ring between the wedge and top cap. Good bearings, crap system, but it works now.

wynne":25pq6db8 said:
Good bearings, crap system, but it works now.

I always thought they were the grail until I got one. Now I wouldn't walk past a Hope headset to get to a Chris King!
Hell, even a decent Cane Creek would get the nod.

Back