Takes deep breath........

Re:

Don't do it. I had the same dilemma and discovered a world of better options than brompton, well a few that I'd consider decent enough to ride. I ended up with an airnimal Joey. Not as nice to fold, but soooooo much nicer to ride and to look at. Birdy also ranked but I preferred the ride of the Joey, as it has 24 inch wheels.

I did look at an all carbon folder as well, but still went with the Joey as it's pretty robust.

I tihnk it depends hugely on how crowded the train is. Brompton wins hands down on folded space and general neatness, others for the ride.

Its unlikely due to a somewhat rural bus route to ever be that busy, and space folded ,plus weight are my primary concerns.
I think the bus would be more of a problem than a train, but the route im on its bus only. I was only thinking of train if heading to Edinburgh or Stirling of such. But bus sized first.

ishaw":44mp2kt1 said:
Don't do it. I had the same dilemma and discovered a world of better options than brompton, well a few that I'd consider decent enough to ride. I ended up with an airnimal Joey. Not as nice to fold, but soooooo much nicer to ride and to look at. Birdy also ranked but I preferred the ride of the Joey, as it has 24 inch wheels.

I did look at an all carbon folder as well, but still went with the Joey as it's pretty robust.

I also looked at a Chinese carbon electric affair at some 8kg, but the reviews put me off somewhat, with issues such as language on set up instructions, and much of the display is in Chinese that it seemed to me more hassle that worth and then the bit all the magazine reviewers hinted at but wouldnt discuss is what happens when things go wrong or are wrong out of the box :? Seemed you hope for the best and live with whatever you get, or age 10 years trying to sort it :LOL:
In fact if its outside of the UK im not interested.

Bromptons are sized for folding, as you say the others for a comfy ride but It's size I was concentrating on and "Top Ten" googling for help and hints, but hadnt came across the Joey. Which I must admit I really like the look of.
But what I think puts it above the Brompton for me is I can dress it with all the bits I have on the Ti which would be retired. Hope Purple Loveliness :D

Thats the real downside for builders such as us, the lack of standard parts on Bromptons, with what appears to be basic bits commanding too high a price for what they are and what they do :?

Have you any pics of yours folded from different views. It's they all give a front elevation view which only really paints half a picture.
Theres one of their website which gives a fair impression that its like a big suitcase. Looks clumsy but maybe some sort of throw over bag, open at the bottom would disguise it enough not to look like its a jumbled potential trip hazard :?

The other reason I would choose the Joey is gears. I must have enough to get up the hill I need to get up and the distance from the bus stop to my workshop. I cannot walk due to arterial narrowing without pain after 30m, but can seemingly ride miles, in traffic, hills etc with considerably less. Completely different muscles in use between walking and cycling. Maybe a bit lucky of damage area there.
The Brompton was an unknown there with its limited gearing and really designed for flat mostly and at least a reasonably fit and healthy rider. I was a bit perturbed by the options, knowing gears for this hill were really a must.

The choice is going to have to fall between size and gearing, with the emphasis on size. That said, Im going to email Airminal and see what a frame/fork alone costs.

Re:

Not sure what the frame/fork kit costs, but I have a spare fork as I upgraded to a carbon one. I pimped mine out after buying the base model and changing almost everything. Need to change the headset and the qrs but that's about as far as I'm going to go, plus I don't commute anymore so it's kind of a spare bike, but handy to have.

They aren't cheap, the cost went up hugely between me procrastinating then eventually buying.

You'll need 24 inch rims of course. I built a set of wheels using hope hubs and sun rims, mostly as I could, but also the stock wheels were a strange 24 inch standard meaning I could only get narrow slicks.

Here's a link to mine if you are interested: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=339649&hilit=Airnimal

Re:

That looks like a clown bike to me. My criteria was more around looks and rideability than folded size though, and an airnimal rides like a proper bike. I test ride others and just didn't feel safe/confident on them as they were terribly twitchy.

The tern was another I looked at, and was probably my second choice.

Yeah, the Terns look really nice but the price is beyond what i can manage. Even 2nd I cant justify it.

Sorry, im looking at electric pricing again :facepalm:

Back