Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

2014 Rides ideas??
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=278038

Author:  daj [ Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:53 pm ]
Post subject:  2014 Rides ideas??

I guess its getting near that time again to start thinking about next years rides.

With both National series and Special events having a good involvement with our region now I feel its pretty important for everyone to be getting there own rides up on threads to keep us going rather than waiting for official ones to be posted?

From feedback the Scrap yard challenge was a hit and the British Steel ride would be good to do again? Maybe different venues rather than FOD? of course nothing wrong with FOD !!

Jan-
Feb- Could be Gospel pass national ride again?
Mar- Spring Classic Road ride
Apr- HONC
May-Scrap yard challenge?
June-Mountain Mayhem
July-Ed`s Tour finale Road ride
Aug- Going to Submit for National ride
Sept-Going to submit for National ride
Oct-British Steel MTB ride?
Nov-
Dec- Christmas ride

As you can see the Calender soon fills up and as always its never going to suit everyone so if you are wanting different things from above feel free to post up rides esp MTB rides as I am sure most are aware I have no MTB again (not planning on changing that in the foreseeable future either!!) :lol:

Ideas anyone? :D

Cheers

daj

Author:  The History Man [ Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2014 Rides ideas??

I prefer mtb and school hols so combine the two in August and I will be there. Unless 8th August for a week as I'm on inlaw duty. So if I break something the week before I'll be happy!

What about an mtb night ride? That would be a laugh!

Brewery ride?

Author:  bugloss [ Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:51 pm ]

Yes……. A Mendip Mauler, plenty of hills and Cider too.

Start from Wells and go up and down with a finale up Cheddar Gorge and a pint of loony soup at Priddy. Then it's downhill all the way to Wells again.

Road of course.

Author:  The History Man [ Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:56 pm ]

Road....... I'm not exactly built for the road. Unless it's as a brick bus shelter.

Author:  daj [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:38 pm ]

Great stuff ...The thread has been on long enough to assume people are happy enough (or not that bothered!) to go with the flow and there will be no crying through the year :lol: :lol: .

-Would love new areas to be ridden on the road if anyone would like to plan a Cheddar ride?

-The Night ride concept was done with great success by the East midlands a couple of years ago so happy to support the idea if anyone wishes to pick a date in the calender and go for it?

-Which brewery ride Jason? The national road one or the one at Hooky?

Author:  bugloss [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:46 pm ]

Well I suppose I could try to sort the Cheddar/Wells ride as I used to live around there, the hospitality though would be limited to the confines of a car boot and back seat, nowhere near as grand a spread as the one you laid on.

I'll get me map out, but no promises yet.

When is there an available slot ?

Can you split that calendar up to Roadies and the Muddies, as I can't make head nor tail of it.

Author:  daj [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:55 pm ]

bugloss wrote:
Well I suppose I could try to sort the Cheddar/Wells ride as I used to live around there, the hospitality though would be limited to the confines of a car boot and back seat, nowhere near as grand a spread as the one you laid on.

I'll get me map out, but no promises yet.

When is there an available slot ?

Sounds good once the national calenders are announced we can get our dates sorted and set in stone 8)

Author:  Mike Muz [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:04 pm ]

-The Night ride concept was done with great success by the East midlands a couple of years ago so happy to support the idea if anyone wishes to pick a date in the calender and go for it?

Sounds interesting ! But as retro riders , would we all have to use white Wonder lights ? :lol:
Mike

Author:  The History Man [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:20 pm ]

The hooky one where we split into nutters and softies and you had a mini car boot sale Dave.
And Andy's Klein sounded like a chainsaw.
And I came on an mtb :facepalm:
And I realised Mat is the actually like that in person too. :lol:

Author:  daj [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:27 pm ]

The History Man wrote:
The hooky one where we split into nutters and softies and you had a mini car boot sale Dave.
And Andy's Klein sounded like a chainsaw.
And I came on an mtb :facepalm:
And I realised Mat is the actually like that in person too. :lol:

That was the national ride Jason , The hooky one was the one later in the year when Karl and ken rode over from their brewery and we met them at Hook Norton.

I fully expect the national brewery ride to be on the calender for 2014 8)

Author:  The History Man [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:34 pm ]

Nice.

Author:  matthew71 [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:49 pm ]

I have spoken to karl and he is up for another brewery ride.i have never done the gospel pass,but would like to but would moving if from febuary to a later date be a good idea?going over the highest road in wales seems a bit stupid to me at that time of year.

mendip mauler would be new to me,and f**k the HONC it is shit :D

Author:  daj [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:57 pm ]

matthew71 wrote:
I have spoken to karl and he is up for another brewery ride.i have never done the gospel pass,but would like to but would moving if from febuary to a later date be a good idea?going over the highest road in wales seems a bit stupid to me at that time of year.

mendip mauler would be new to me,and f**k the HONC it is shit :D

Yep nail on the head mat I do believe there is talk of switching the July grimpier ride with the February gospel pass ride ....though it was prob the most epic ride I have done through conditions :D

Ha,ha don't write the HONC off just from last year it was prob one of the worst conditions it's had (mumberlings from other people) I will prob do the 50k with my mates next year make more of a social of it again?

Author:  feetabix [ Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:23 am ]

That sounds like an alcohol problem Dave......

Author:  NeilM [ Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:43 pm ]

If you want an offroad guide to the Mendips, I know someone who'd happily lead a ride. You wouldn't really want to be up there in winter though, as it can get very cold, wet and muddy; we are talking axle deep black mud here, none of your up to the rims sissy stuff.

As for a Mendip road ride; If you wanted to take in Wells and Priddy, then you'd probably be best starting in Wells, and heading to Priddy, down the gorge, across to Shipham and then up Burrington Combe (a real killer of a climb), then back across to Priddy and Wells via Charterhouse. The A371 between Cheddar and Wells is a busy, nasty b'stard of a road and I wouldn't fancy it on a sunny Sunday.

That said, Wells is not the easiest place to get to from the West Mids, and you might be better starting at the bottom of Burrington Combe, as that's close to the A38 and reasonably easy to get to from the M5.

Sitting here with my blood running cold at the though of warming up by riding the combe. :shock:

Author:  bugloss [ Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 pm ]

There's a handsome hill that goes out of Wells towards Priddy, The Old London Road I think it's called (steep and straight). It comes out at the pub by The Hunters Hole, Hunters Lodge I think its called.

Down New Road to Draycot then up Top Road to the bottom of the Gorge, Burrington Combe is good too.

That's why it's the Mendip Mauler with a pint of loony soup at the end. :D

I take it you'll be there then ?

Author:  NeilM [ Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:06 pm ]

bugloss wrote:
I take it you'll be there then ?

It's right on my doorstep, but I think most of those climbs are well beyond my capacity, plus I don't drink alcohol, which is the main reasons why brewery and pub rides are not really my thing.

Author:  bugloss [ Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:11 pm ]

Do you fancy pairing up for a reccie at some point ? It'll be in the depths of winter though or early spring.

I don't drink really, but a half of apple juice and a packet of salt and vinegar floats my boat.

Author:  The History Man [ Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:41 pm ]

Are mtb rides for winter and roadies for the summer? Or is it me that's got it wrong.

Author:  NeilM [ Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:49 pm ]

bugloss wrote:
Do you fancy pairing up for a reccie at some point ? It'll be in the depths of winter though or early spring.

I am always delighted to ride on the Mendips, I just don't do much road riding up there as I live in Weston-s-Mare and as the song says, the only way (onto the Mendips) is UP. :oops:

JIC: The best OS map for the area is 182.

Author:  bugloss [ Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:55 pm ]

NeilM wrote:
bugloss wrote:

I am always delighted to ride on the Mendips, I just don't do much road riding up there as I live in Weston-s-Mare and as the song says, the only way (onto the Mendips) is UP. :oops:

JIC: The best OS map for the area is 182.

I'm always up for a team ride, my next available date in the South West is the 6 December as I'm off to Swindon. I was thinking of bringing the bike and getting to Priddy early in the morning and doing something like Priddy - down to Draycott and up the gorge across the top into Wells down the fast long road and up the Old London Road. Or something like that, What do you reckon ?

Author:  NeilM [ Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:03 pm ]

The 6th is a Friday, according to my diary I'm in Evesham.

Ironic or just chance?

Author:  bugloss [ Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:05 pm ]

Shame, looks like it's a solo event then. :roll:

Author:  theredchili [ Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:06 pm ]

I'll go with the flow ,road or mountain, summer or winter,day or night, so long as a bikes involved i'm in ( pending dates).

Author:  NeilM [ Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:04 pm ]

In that case we shall rename you Martini.

Lord, I am showing my age. :facepalm:

Author:  matthew71 [ Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:57 pm ]

any more ideas for this dave?

Author:  daj [ Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:32 pm ]

matthew71 wrote:
any more ideas for this dave?

Well the I thought it would be good for better variety to get new ideas and try new places?

Id quite happy run another HONC style cross/mtb ride through the cotswolds?

As said before if you want pure MTB you need to step up and get your name down in the diary or they will no doubt be filled with Road :lol: :lol:

Author:  bugloss [ Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:57 pm ]

As Uncle Monty has got himself a new Hetchins, how about organising a British bike ride. I'll happily organise the Mendip ride along those lines with the possibility of a splendid cream tea finish at the foot of Cheddar.

Author:  daj [ Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:11 pm ]

bugloss wrote:
As Uncle Monty has got himself a new Hetchins, how about organising a British bike ride. I'll happily organise the Mendip ride along those lines with the possibility of a splendid cream tea finish at the foot of Cheddar.

Great stuff I will hold you to that! Once the national dates are released we will pencil it into our diary 8)

Author:  matthew71 [ Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:52 pm ]

bugloss wrote:

I don't drink tea, or have a british bike :oops:

Author:  daj [ Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:42 am ]

matthew71 wrote:
bugloss wrote:

Being there is always more important than themes Matty!! 8)

Author:  The History Man [ Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:58 am ]

What about being all there? Hopefully not.

Author:  bugloss [ Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:44 am ]

I'm not all there, thank you!

Author:  bugloss [ Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:53 pm ]

matthew71 wrote:

My god, already! :roll: Don't drink tea, don't have a British bike. :wink:

Author:  The History Man [ Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:03 pm ]

Still like the idea of a night ride, maybe with snow if you can book it. That would be very cool.

Author:  matthew71 [ Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:19 pm ]

The History Man wrote:
Still like the idea of a night ride, maybe with snow if you can book it. That would be very cool.

As said before if you want pure MTB you need to step up and get your name down in the diary or they will no doubt be filled

perhaps you need to step up and put a ride on.dave dose more than enough for the area,so this could be your time to shine. the way it looks to me is that there will be few mtb rides in the west mids.

Author:  The History Man [ Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:26 pm ]

Best of the Honc? Just for you mat

Author:  mass199 [ Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:01 pm ]

The History Man wrote:

I get out in the fod at night....your more than welcome to tag along.

Author:  NeilM [ Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:10 pm ]

mass199 wrote:
The History Man wrote:

Verderers or other trails?

I have been all over the FOD at night in the snow and it's excellent, mind I was on foot back then. :wink:

Author:  mass199 [ Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:17 pm ]

NeilM wrote:
mass199 wrote:
The History Man wrote:

Verderers or other trails?

I have been all over the FOD at night in the snow and it's excellent, mind I was on foot back then. :wink:

Either,

Wild Boar on the trail can make your backside twitch, daddy pig is a big old boy :shock:

Author:  NeilM [ Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:33 pm ]

mass199 wrote:
Either,

Wild Boar on the trail can make your backside twitch, daddy pig is a big old boy :shock:

Yeah, not many boar around when I used to get up there, you had to sniff for hexamine stoves and watch out for lazer sights mind. :twisted:

Author:  The History Man [ Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:48 pm ]

We are the Severn bores! FOD, night, sharp objects, a banjo, sounds good.