Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:51 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:53 am 
Old School Hero

Hello everybody.

I started to build up a bike for my sister about 3-4 months ago, go hold of all of the parts pretty quick. Actually dumped quite a lot of money on a few brand new bits too so I could get it done quickly. But I rand into a hurdle at the last minute, with headset & BB troubles.

I am having trouble gettng a crown race to seat properly (could probably get it on with a proper press) but main problem is that the steerer seems like a fraction of a mm bigger than it should be so I cannot get a headset top nut to screw on properly. The cups of the headset fit perfectly.

The frame & forks is a 90's italian columbus neuron from a good builder.

The BB threads also need chasing but none of the shops in Birmingham even seem to have the tools, and even if they did I couldn't afford it anyway. I have pushed to boat out and overspent on this project already. I really need some help to get it finished.

I have been asking friends of friends and waiting on a certain local framebuilder to help me with it for over a month. It seems like I am never going to get it done and is super frustrating.

If there is anyone in Birmingham who has access to frame prep tools and is willing to help I will be eternally grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:34 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I can recommend you call Russell at 'The Cycle Studio' Stratford upon Avon. I know it's not exactly Brum but it's not far & he'll have everything you need & the knowledge to do it. I used to ride with him BITD & he now owns this shop...had wheels built, frame prepped there for myself. Total legend & I don't think he's too pricey...give him a call, say Andy ex Beacon sent you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:02 am 
Old School Grand Master

Think you will struggle to find anyone close to do the threading not this side of brum anyway. I tried near enough all the bike shops in wednesbury, walsall, wolverhampton etc etc.