The Alternative Olympic Torch Relay for road peace will be the cycling event of 2012 starting in Bulgaria and arriving for the opening of the Olympics.
• 4000km – we will be using the EuroVelo Cycling route network – along the Danube, Rhein and Main Rivers, we will cross La Manche at Calais to Folkstone on 21 July.
• 55 Days – 2 June – 25 July 2012
• 11 Countries: Bulgaria, Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France, The Netherlands, Belgium and United Kingdom.
• 11 Events: EVM is co-organising in 11 Cities in Europe of which 7 Capitals: Sofia, Budapest, Bratislava, Wien, Brussels and London.
• Open to all abilities, people can join from 1 min to 55 Days
• Main Participants - a team of 20 participants are expected to start from Bulgaria – the EVM Missionaries
• Documentary Crew – the Missionaries, documentary director and 2 cameramen will follow the main team; Documentary treatment is available upon request.
• PR team – Ekaterina and her Father Mladen will be contacting National Media of each country with their safer roads message.
• Support vehicle – a motorhome that will support the group of cyclists and provide some needed comfort for Mladen Belchev, who is still recovering from his injuries from the crash last year. Also to provide a mobile space for preparing and storing food and to transport the luggage of the main participants.
• Accommodation – the motorhome will sleep between 4 and 6 people depending the funds acquired and for the rest of the group - wild camping with permission, camping or hostels
• Food – Cooking locally sourced food; vegetarian
• Energy for the Events – solar or bike powered with a bit of fuel for the campervan
For more detailed information – Please visit our Website : http://www.velomarathon.eu
• European Velo Marathon was inspired by Mladen - a veteran Bulgarian non-professional cyclist and sportsman. His daughter Ekaterina – started organizing the marathon after his crash in 2011, when while cycling he got hit by a motorbike. He is still recovering and lost the use of his left arm but he will still take part in the EVM – a film crew will document his efforts and the EVM through Europe.
• Factor Foundation adopted the EVM in March 2012 to ensure that the aims of the marathon will be achieved and that it will be a successful and effective campaign to inspire more people to cycle and improve road safety.
• Factor Foundation is registered as a non-for-profit organisation since 13.08.2009.
• All members of the Factor Foundation are non-professional cyclists and organisers.
• Our values and aims: To inspire and encourage eco and cycling tourism by running various cycling and tourist projects
• Factor Foundation organises Varna Green Tour, Sofia Green Tour, Istanbul Free Tour, Velomood, Bike Tours Social, Bike Carnival and many others.
• Factor foundation promotes road safety and actively campaigns to improve conditions and building new and better infrastructure for Eco tourism and cycling in Bulgaria and now through Europe.
We want to do more than just cycling!
• Тo raise awareness about road safety and celebrate the bicycle as a sustainable and healthy choice of transport in the cities and for tourism.
• By cycling over 4000km to inspire more people to cycle and travel sustainably
• Invite the mayors of the cities we go through to improve the conditions and infrastructure for cycling. We will invite the mayors to hold the Alternative Olympic Torch and promise to make the necessary changes to make their cities fit for cycling.
• To unite the cycling community of Europe and promote the EuroVelo cycling route network.
• Promote mobility beyond disability and create discussions about what inspires people to cycle, be more careful when driving, and how to overcome challenges and fear, to get up after a fall and keep on living our dreams.
• Leave a legacy – to document the EVM on a film about what cycling means to people and collect stories of victory, success and wisdom.
• To celebrate the most sustainable Olympic Games. Invite the world to cycle to the Olympics
• We want to be the media opportunity for local organisations to push their campaigns for better cycling, better road safety and better, safer and healthier world