ride report: rain, mills and a Peka

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
rain, mills and a Peka - the ride to the birth ground of my Simon

In my stable there is a frame of the Zaandam based builder Simon. On a Wednessday a couple weeks ago I decided for a ride to the little Zaandam shop. This with the aim get stories on Simon in general and possibly stories, tech talk and all other things that could be interesting on my specific Simon if they remembered it. A view glimpses of the Simon >>

5570928912_070a4a1198_m.jpg
5570926942_4a0b1789f2_m.jpg
5570336929_2d8012a9f1_m.jpg
5570929778_5638ab45b4_m.jpg
5570927788_d95beb1209_m.jpg

It is quite a journey, but I had a great bike to cover it: the PEKA.

Weather looked good when I left and radar images on my laptop were also promissing. Reality was a bit different however.

5574285003_3bdeed767d_b.jpg

Rain.

5574871426_ba13f6f208_z.jpg

Arrived in Zaandam I of course couldn't resist making some nice pics as proove I have really been there ;)

PEKA in front of Zaandam wind mills >>

5574872370_7eda2055e0_b.jpg

Than power of my batteries went low and camera switched out. But there were some more interesting things to see :( Fortunately a nearby bike shop was so kind to sell me 2 Duracells for 2 euro.

PEKA in front of typical Zaandam house >>

5574873248_e406588e89_b.jpg

PEKA in front of Albert Heijn's first grocery store >>

5574874152_7baac7e159_b.jpg

The ride home was in better conditions and because of the distance I had enough time to dry.

How it went at the little Simon shop? Well, it appears to be closed each Wednessday afternoon.

Looks great - we love cycling in Holland! Is that the original Albert Heijn shop?

Whereabouts are you? We are passing through Holland early August to visit friends in Gouda before travelling on the Poland to visit Skolioza!

Hi Carol,

This is what the English 'Zaanse Schans' page mentions: AH shop

The write up in Dutch is more extensive and tells us that the front half of the building was the original Albert Heijn shop. That part, hence the shop, originally had another location however: on the Oostzijde. The same street as where the Simon frame comes from. The back half of the building was originally located in Westzaan. The interior is pretty much original or at least very accurately reconstructed, I understand.

Great write-up. Untill last year I lived in Zaandam ('t Kalf) and had never heard of Simon or his bike shop. Bummer! When I'm in Zaandam I'll pay him a visit (if his store is still open). I remember a friend of my father had a nice small lugged frame made for his little son, build by 'Simon' or 'Siem'. I then thought he meant Siem de Boorder on the Hogendijk, Zaandam. If I knew then... :) My guess is that you bought your batteries at Saenbike.

Thanks for the kind words. Mr Arie Simon himself you won't find in the shop anymore. He sold it about two decades ago or so to a new owner. Arie Simon lives in Neerpelt, Belgium now, where he continued with building the finest derneys in the world.

Foto-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back