Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:45 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:07 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

What is your favourite route? :D

..and is it well suited for your retro, vintage, classic rig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:35 am 
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider

no one has a favourite route?
well, I can recommend the RED mtb route in "het rijk van Nijmegen". I think it's about 25 km, and some lovely climbing, technical stuff and beautiful forest. Suited for retroriding? Of course! I only ride retro... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:10 pm 
Retro Guru

Everything around "Valkenburg a/d Geul" for me ;-) Since it's "back home" for me (and I'm gone for about 10 years now). So always nice to get "back home". And the views are just great. I never bike there for the sake of "racing" but to make some relaxed miles and enjoy the views/environment... plus as a bonus I get to spend time with my parents afterwards (since I only see them about 8 times a year) :oops:

BTW: Perfect for retro riding, it's got the most hills of all the Netherlands but still you can get away with not having suspension 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:24 pm 

Void(EN12-82) wrote:
Everything around "Valkenburg a/d Geul" for me ;-) Since it's "back home" for me (and I'm gone for about 10 years now). So always nice to get "back home". And the views are just great. I never bike there for the sake of "racing" but to make some relaxed miles and enjoy the views/environment... plus as a bonus I get to spend time with my parents afterwards (since I only see them about 8 times a year) :oops:

BTW: Perfect for retro riding, it's got the most hills of all the Netherlands but still you can get away with not having suspension 8)

sounds very good! It's been a long time since I rode a mountainbike in that part of our country... I think retro was new when I last rode my mtb 'down there' :wink:
I did do some road riding a couple of times. The mergellandroute is very cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:33 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

First Worldcup track in Houffalize, around 1996 and it was 10km, I was completely f*&^-up after 1 lap but what a ride. So suitable for retroriders as the Grundig Cup started there before 1996.

Djernis rode there on his Ritchey P-series, Mike Kluge on Focus and johhny T rode some laps for fun, you could here the public shout miles away if John came neare. On of my best pictuires is a jumping John when passing the school. Ohw, those days sorry.

Rode it on my 1996 Cannondale killer V500 with stx/lx kit.

cheers,
Martin

Oeps, thats not a track, well then I would say euhm....I dont know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:14 pm 

Martin wrote:
Oeps, thats not a track, well then I would say euhm....I dont know.

but there's a great route in Houfalize now too! No idea if it covers any of the worldcup track though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:06 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

This weekend i was Bouillon in Belgium. I had a go with the track O2bikers made a while ago. I also had a first go with a Canfield Nimble 9.

In short, it was ACE!

I have been coming to The Ardenne for a couple of years now and this is easily the most technical route i have ever done! Switchbacks, ladders, rock gardens and some technical single tracks. This route had it all.

We did 40km and it took us about 7 hours. How those marathon guys do the Raid de Godefroy is a clue to me. I have seen a report where somebody does 168km in almost 9 hours. Not human.

The Canfield was also a fantastic bike. This was my first spin with a 29er and I liked it a lot. It is more stable and climbing was easier. This bike had super short chainstays which means that the front of the comes off the ground easily during a climb. If you adjust the sliders a bit more backwards, it is a really nice bike.

This is my new favourite route. My top 3 looks like this:
    Bouillon
    Malmedy
    Coo
[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:09 pm 
Retro Guru

I like to ride mine retro bike in the Nationaal Park de Meinweg(Limburg),thats a nice ride with enough fast singletracks,hills and downhills.I ride her from 1990 and i know the place very good :wink: