french left hand thread adjustable bottom bracket cup

wolfman01

Retro Newbie
I know I have a real oddball french thread bottom bracket, it has two left hand threads. So I thought I would give it a go asking on here to see if anyone can help :( with an adjustable cup and lock ring
HELP

are you sure they're left hand threads? as far as I know, no BB ever made has a left hand threaded adjustable (non-drive) side cup, they're all right hand threaded. It's only the fixed (drive side) cup that can be either left or right hand threading, depending on standard:

british standard is left hand threaded
italian is right hand
french is right hand
swiss is the same pitch (35x1) as french, but left hand

so if you have a 35x1 BB with both cups the same "hand", then it's likely that you're confusing left and right hand threading, and the BB is swiss (which are rare)

If it's 35x1 and each side threads a different direction, then it's french (which are rare, but not as rare as swiss).

foz":1w068epb said:
are you sure they're left hand threads? as far as I know, no BB ever made has a left hand threaded adjustable (non-drive) side cup, they're all right hand threaded. It's only the fixed (drive side) cup that can be either left or right hand threading, depending on standard:

british standard is left hand threaded
italian is right hand
french is right hand
swiss is the same pitch (35x1) as french, but left hand

so if you have a 35x1 BB with both cups the same "hand", then it's likely that you're confusing left and right hand threading, and the BB is swiss (which are rare)

If it's 35x1 and each side threads a different direction, then it's french (which are rare, but not as rare as swiss).
I took the frame over to Neil's bike shop in molesey and it caused quite a stir, everyone in the shop was lost for words. In the end he said it was deffo french thread but could not offer any help as he had never seen it before. I have been talking to a bike guy in France and he thinks the swiss did this at one point many years ago. None of this does me any good though, but I am like a dog with a bone and I will some how come up with a solution. PS anyone on here is welcome to come and have a look :LOL:

Back