Best Fixie bike

beckersuzanne49

Retro Newbie
I have a short commute < 5 miles. I would use this bike for riding to and from work, to the gym and to the store....all short commutes. Looking at the cheaper fixie bikes as well as the Specialized Sirrus type bikes. Would prefer something that isn't a rolling theft magnet....and I would secure the bike at each location. Totally new to this type of bike. Any suggestions? Was going to go with a $300-400 fixie that I see advertised all over the internet but not sure what is good quality or even what to look for. Any help appreciated.

$300 fixies are riding the fashion wave and generally $150 bike garbage. That bike looks typical of them. Note that there is no brake on the front, which is not road legal in Europe. It's also lethally dangerous. A rear brake is redundant as you can retard the bike through the fixed wheel (you need it for a freewheel though).

Note that the site is not a review as such - more like PR puff.

For a 5 mile commute you can use pretty much anything. A decent (but old) MTB with slicks and mudguards (fenders) is ideal for usage in all weathers without getting soaked. The standard anti-theft procedure is to cover the frame with old inner tubes zip-tied on, fit pitlock skewers for wheels and seatpost and buy a Gold-rated lock. The key thing is to end up with a functionally good bike that looks unattractive to thieves...who will move on to a nicer target.

Re:

Hamster nailed it. You dont say where you ride but if its the big smoke and new undisputed crime capital of the world, the less blingy the better. Heard of plenty of bike jacking going on, still unreported by the media.

Latest posts

Back