30t or more on 6 speed freewheel wanted

Wingreen

Retro Newbie
Just changed from a 6 speed cassette to a freewheel set-up. The cassette had 30 teeth on 1st gear but the last thing I really want to do is to go for a 28 teeth job (It was hard enough with 30!). So.....looking for a 6 speed freewheel with 30 or more teeth on 1st gear. I'd happily go for 32 teeth even - but would want to be (fairly) sure that my present set up could handle it. (Apologies if I'm asking for the impossible - very new to all this). Thanks

Re: Re:

Deanthebean":uwloveky said:
SJS used to have them on the website i think they IRD made in the US

Indeed they do - many thanks for the tip off. However, I'm baulking at the price (about £50). I only started by trying to get an abandoned Dawes back on the road but its turning out to be a more expensive business than I thought!

pigman":qufdd386 said:

Blimey - now you are (almost!) talking. I have to agree that that is a good price for a brand new one. However........Scrooge isn't my middle name for nothing (and its quite a topical persona). Actually, I might have gone for this but I have just been advised (google is a wonderful thing) that I'd have to change my derailleur set up in order to accommodate a shift to such a tooth-filled wheel. I think my search has to be confined to a 30t (or 32t at most), 2nd hand job. I know....pigs....and ....flying.

Re:

just get a used MTB mech on the MTB part of the forum. Someone will have one for a fiver ?? if you're not indexing the gears, owt with a long arm will do.

you'll struggle to find a used freewheel. Large sizes were quite unusual back in freewheel days and if they are out there, they may have worn cogs.

what about leaving your gears and getting a cheap MTB chainset?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CTK":kivtcbph said:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-TOUR ... Swz5ZZuBGL

£15 for a megarange Tourney? Lots more on ebay either 34t or 28t that I can see

Wow! that looks quite good. I'd want to be sure I could use it with my current set up - without the knock-on effect of lengthening chain and changing the derailleur though.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back