Looking for a touring bike project

Eyebrows123

Retro Newbie
Hi there,

Thanks for adding me, was wondering if you might be able to help me source a touring bike project?

I am looking for something I can build up into a suitable tourer so don't mind whether it's just a frame or a running bike that needs work. If possible I'd rather a more vintage frame but have no idea what I'm looking at and what would be suitable. I don't have a huge quantity of money hence why I'm looking for a project that needs work so what do you suggest I look for or does anyone have anything that maybe suitable?

I am 5ft10 and currently based in North Yorkshire but do travel around a fair bit.

All the best

Welcome to the site mate!

If your budget is restricted I would suggest scanning Gumtree, Ebay and the classifieds here for a complete bike ready to roll.

I scored a couple of beauties for silly low money lately, just pop to the local cycle dealers to find your ideal size, if you don't already know.

Might be selling an old Orbit Harrier (the proper ones) that is complete, and reasonably specced with Campag Veloce mainly.

57cm I think.

Re:

Yes, I've figured out a rough size of bike I need but to be honest, need to try the individual bikes.

Might be interested in your harrier, how much is it going for and whereabouts are you?

I am currently searching eBay and gumtree but my problem is I don't exactly know what I'm looking at and am very conscious that I can't tell the good from the cheap and nasty or poor geometry!

The site is strict in that I need to price something if I am actually selling it. I would need to add it to a sale thread with a set price. I can only do that after appraising it, which would involve time I don't have right away, but would say it will definitely be a bargain! I am in the Highlands, but I would post, as it pisses me off when people don't, being all the way up here! You are probably on the upper end height wise for that frame. I am sure looking around you will find real bargains out there, something you can get out on now, and maybe fettle over the winter, would be a great way to get into a nice tourer. You certain you want a road based tourer? Lots of people are happy with an old MTB.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated

Can understand about prices and bike selling, don't worry if it's not available yet

That Dawes bike looks ideal, unfortunately it is too far away and I'd want to try the thing before laying my money down, i'd also guess that that one will go for a fair bit more than it's current price so probably wouldn't end up as a complete steal.

I'd never really thought about a MTB as a tourer, I'm not too bothered whether it's a MTB or Road, I just want something that'll be a good base to build a tourer from. My problem is I can't tell which frames would be suitable and which not, hence coming on here for recommendations!

So basically am currently looking for a solid frame (whether it comes with or without wheels, gears etc) to build a tourer up from and hopefully not for too much money, i'll keep searching around, hopefully i'll come across a bargain at some point.

I'm guessing most of those 80s raleigh frames that seem to go for peanuts probably won't be up to it?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

That Nigel Dean is too small, but if you find something like that in your size jump on it!

I tend to look at what I would need to get something functional before I make a purchase, and then figure that into an amount I would then be happy to pay for something complete.

If you keep looking you will find something nice for £150 or thereabouts. You can always consider that a winter bike as well, and build something more fancy over time.

Re:

I have couple of potential option s lurking at the back of the garage.

Option 1: A Dawes Horizon with Reynolds 501 tubing. In good overall condition with a little rust on the seat stay bridge (I'm guessing the paint was scratched attaching a mudguard or similar). From memory it's a 24 inch frame. It has a Deore Chainset, a bottom bracket, 3t Podium bars and stem, Weinmann cantilevers, Shimano Exage 300 Lx Rear mech, chain cv gear shifters and I think from Mech still attached (would need to double check a couple of them). A set of wheels and a quick service and you'd be good to go. Looking for £75 for that one.

Option 2: Another Dawes, but this time a Sterling Tour with Reynolds 525 tubing. It's a 23 inch and needs a little more work. The frame is not bad overall, but has a few more scratches and could do with a refinish in my view). The stem is stuck and unusable, so will need cutting out. Not sure if the seat post is free (the guy who sold it to me said it was, but that was a while ago now and not checked). It definitely has a chainset attached, possibly brakes, but not much else (again I'd have to check it). Looking for £40.

I'm up in Newcastle, but as loluck would have it due in North Yorkshire with the in-laws over the next week, so depending on where you were I could maybe bring them down with me.

I can grab some pictures if you are interested too.

Back