Help wanted for ...... Possible road convert

Retro Spud

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Okay

I next to never venture into these strange parts as I've always been into knobbly tyres.. :oops:

however times are changing, and since Jan I've been out and about on the road with my local road club
riding an MTB shod with one inch slicks and I have to say I love the speed and also taking on all and sundry when a good climb crops up....
The Scotts a bit of a road bike slayer when I can find a hill

I think its now time to admit/ come to terms with the fact its time to embrace change... and here lays the problem

I want a decent bike, but hate all the boxy matt black carbon shite in Evans etc, and those forks on the top end kit that are bent in more directions that a spoon after a meeting with Yuri Geller are gopping, is it me but have good looking road bikes been fazed out :shock:

TBH I would like to go retro but nothing before mid 90's as they don't float my boat and look (to me) like an expensive version of a Raleigh Winner that I did a paper round on, (Although the Raleigh in the pic below is an exception to that rule)

The later Orange D2 / Dynamo call it what you will, look really nice as do replica team bikes from the late 90's early 2000's even

I guess I want a bike with an elegant frame and a bright / busy paint job

the other thing is you geezers use metric for frame sizes, I'm 6 foot with an inside trouser leg of 33 inches, by my reckoning I should be on a 54 - 56cm frame ? is that right

Looking to spend around £750 - £1,000

at the moment I'm riding this .... :D and whilst I love the thing dearly and the gearing comes in handy for the hills it only has (generally) about three useable gears and even then it runs out on me at the slightest down hill (still good for up to 24mph* on the flat but north of that and in a bunch I have to coast otherwise I just bounce up and down in the saddle chasing the pedals round)

*as measured by Strava

Before I buy a pile of POOH or kill myself using hydraulic rim brakes with inch slicks on a damp road .........whats my options ?

Attachments

• Scott Endorphin on club run 5.jpg
    Scott Endorphin on club run 5.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 503
Re: Help wanted for ...... Possible convert

I'd go for a shimano groupset 9speed or better on a aluminium frame with carbon forks I had a Genesis day5 for about 8years and apart from the usual wear and tear it never gave me any problems and it was low spec and below your budget (sora 8 speed £230) I covered about 14000miles in the time I had it.
As your quite able at building bikes yourself (I've read a few of your build threads) look for a decent frame and go from there something like a Pinarello Prince for example would be a good starting point. The reason I say shimano is I have had nothing but joy from them the brifters are really smooth compared to my campag and on a build front so much cheaper.

Oh, I'm almost in exactly this position (right down to the height/inside leg - spooky!) :)

My roadie-busting one-inch-slick retro 26er is here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=292714&start=20#p2535213

And my more recently-acquired proper road bike here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=317602&start=10#p2424210

The aluminium Principia isn't the most exciting frame to look at (though it's pretty classy and it has fat tubes) but makes a change from all the bland or bling carbon I see on the roads near me. Feels retro in spirit, at least. I don't have the experience to compare but it is also said to compare very favourbly in the ride against low and mid range carbon. I can say for cetain than none has ever overtaken me on the road anyway :) I love it and wouldn't swap it for something else. So I would also say for something a bit different, a quality aluminum road frame - they also seem to be pretty cheap second hand as the market is nearly exclusively in carbon.

Size-wise you're about right - most frames from 54 to 57 should fit comfortably. Mine is 54 and I ride it with the saddle as pictured and a 110mm stem - I wouldn't want to go any smaller on the frame than that though.

Re:

Let me show you around my emporium! Wahahahahahaha

At 6'3 and 34" IL, I can get away with anything between 56 and 59cm. Set up, there's actually only a few mm difference in riding position.

I'd guess that a 54cm frame would be too small for you Scott buddy! ;)

56cm

57cm

59cm

Which one do you fancy? ;) :shock:

Mike

Attachments

• Trek road bike.jpg
    Trek road bike.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 469
  • Dyna Tech done !.jpg
    Dyna Tech done !.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 469
Around 55cm C-C assuming horizontal TT sounds about right.

Since this is for riding, consider retro-mod or a modern with a retro look. Most companies are doing some nice
steel with geometry tweaks from the retro MTB world like slopping top-tube that would be difficult to find on
more classic 80s / 90s. Most carbon though is pretty dreadfull looking.

Agree with Shimano. 105 or Tiagra is more than good enough, I would go for 10 speed since there
is better availability of S/H parts.

Perhaps consider the "older" generation of new gravel grinders with cantis so you have the ability of
some off-road light CX with a change of tyres. I reckon there must be some bargains to be had
as people follow the disk fashion. Something along these lines:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannondale-Ca ... SwqfNXi960

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Cheers guys very useful info

Not adverse to Carbon but Aluminium is high on the list so long as its not made by Manitou (nuff said so let move on Mr Muz)

Good to know the sizes I should be looking for, nothing more annoying than looking at bikes in the wrong size

Custom or frame up build would be cool but a dogs dinner waiting to happen since I don't even know the basis like gearing, all my MTB run 28/38/48 and 11 to 28 where possible not sure on a road bike with its bigger hoops where I'd be.

Mike
Love those, surprising Dyno,Trek,Cougar in that order.

I run a 11-27 38 50 on my LOOK but thats because I'm useless on the hills you could probably get away with 11-26 39 53 if your fit

Re:

As for gearing Nick, normally 53/39 rings with 12 or 13- 23 at the back for me, given the choice.

Some of those pictured are a bit different though. The Mavic chainset on the Gitane has the gearing it came with, a 52/42 front, and the Dynatech is running a 54 now.

A 26 at the back will be a good start, lets your legs spin a bit more than the 23s on some of those bikes I ride.

Bar width is something else to consider. Being broad shouldered, I like wide ones, 44cm centre to centre. ( the ends)

Mike

Back