Band on shifters - SORTED

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm building a 1970's clubman's bike based on an early Dave Lloyd frame and I need a set of band on shifters from around the middle to late 70's.

I am planning on using a Shimano rear mech, a Campag front mech, and a seven speed block and I'm assuming any friction shifters will do the trick.

I'm happy to pay a sensible price, but not the £50, £65, or £95 I have seen for some of the (repro ?) Campag stuff on eBay.

Re: Band on shifters

How about the Shimano 600 band on jobbies like on the "Lloyd's Echelon 600" bike marketed by him in the late 1970's :)

Shaun

Re:

If it's 70's Shaun, then I'm up for it.

And if anyone can advise about the era, it's you.

The 70's , happy days :)

Dave Lloyd sold a ready made clubman / racing / time trial / bike back in the 70's called the "Echelon". A sort of ready to race / train bike at an all in price which was actually very competitive.

Came with a variety of cheaper components such as campag gran sport or Shimano 600. Going to have a quick look at my mags now to check the price lol

Shifters would have been the plain sort which I think would be 6100 series?

Shaun

Re:

My idea is (as it has been for a while) to put together a late 1970's clubman bike. I recently picked up the DL, so my efforts have been rekindled towards this frame.

Anything that will work the mechs and is age related I'll be happy with, but not £95 shiny shiny Campag that looks SO NOS I suspect it just came out of an Indian workshop.

Re:

i have suntour band on shifters a suntour vx rear mech and a raleigh band front mech

Re:

Thanks Shed, but Powershifters are a bit too new for this project.

That's not an outright no, but I'd prefer to try and get something that is spot on age wise if I can.

There's some on eBay at the moment from 9.99 to 20.00 depending on style......

Shaun

Scan from June 1978

4g16dc.jpg

600 Echelon £228.50.

Not bad for a complete 531 bike with 600 kit. Alan Aluminium frame was £156, Raleigh Team Pro 531 frame was £107 at the same time

Shaun

Band on shifters

9 speed wheels and tyres. Campag hubs mirage i think onto Mavic MA3 rims. Vredstein tyres. Also include a 9 speed campag block - no idea how worn it is. ?60

9 speed campag xenon ergo shifters. ?30

Back