quill stem bolt upgrades

petertreglown

Devout Dirtbag
Hi, I have looked via the search feature but would like any up to date info on where I could get lighter weight quill stem bolts, preferably not through evil-bay. Also is it ok to shorten the insert part of a quill stem, one with a wedge?
Cheers, Pete

Re:

Best option would be US ebay or Toronto cycles in Canada, very rare in the uk. The other major issue is the wedge thread size, as these come in about 4 different sizes also. Kronos make a few different sizes. I wouldn't shorten the quill shaft, very tricky to get the cut right and will result in more movement in the steerer.
I have found the only realistic way to drop worthwhile weight, is to buy top end stems, like a Grammo, Litespeed, ITM or Moots etc. I.e. I have a Grammo 120mm at 135g. They can be mega money mind you!

Re: Re:

Wold Ranger":1t31pfwq said:
Best option would be US ebay or Toronto cycles in Canada, very rare in the uk. The other major issue is the wedge thread size, as these come in about 4 different sizes also. Kronos make a few different sizes. I wouldn't shorten the quill shaft, very tricky to get the cut right and will result in more movement in the steerer.
I have found the only realistic way to drop worthwhile weight, is to buy top end stems, like a Grammo, Litespeed, ITM or Moots etc. I.e. I have a Grammo 120mm at 135g. They can be mega money mind you!
Cheers, thanks for the advice, maybe I just save up and find a l/w stem :)

Re:

Syncros quills moved to an Aluminium alloy bolt, so if they match you may be able to use that. They aso lightened their wedge considerably with lots of machining.

Tioga made replacement so that may be something to search under. EBay though is probably an easier place to find them.

Or just buy a nice long aluminium bolt.

Hmm...the bits that aren't steel or rubber on my bike are aluminum. Most modern bikes are mostly plastic and glue aka 'carbon' ;)

john88":34hvquwn said:
I would be scared to death riding hard on alloy stem bolt :O

They tend to be oversize, (Larger Diameter M7 or M8 ) so just as strong as steel and they don't take that much direct stress, Cinelli, 3T and Itm all used them widely on their pro level stems BITD, without issues.

I think I have 3 or 4 Ti ones in the shed.Dont ask why.If you still need one pm me and I will check lengths all are M8 and I have alloy wedges as well I think.

Latest posts

Back