*NOW SORTED* 700C road wheels, screw on rear

sciencemonkey

Retro Newbie
I need to replace the buckled wheels on my Peugeot Touraine as I've just been told they are beyond straightening. :cry:
The rear wheel is 'free wheeling' rather than cassette and I've been told to look for 700C road screw on. The markings on the wheel rims are:
Rigida (Made in France)
15/21
700C
17x622
DIN ETRTO

I know what some of this means but not all of it! I have just been quoted probably about as much as the bike is worth for two wheels from a local bike shop, and I'd rather have something more original in any case so thought I need to try on here before spending a load of money on brand new stuff.

I live near Reading (Berkshire) and work in Watford (Herts) so can collect from a wide area.
Thanks in advance,
Pip.

Re: 700C road wheels, screw on rear

I have a pair of Campagnolo rims / hubs for £90
You may get cheaper on ebay, I just sold my last pair of cheap wheels :(

Thanks, and I'll bear that in mind. Was really after something for a lot less, I don't suppose the whole machine is worth very much more than that.

bikenut2010":2nem9lcf said:
I have a pair of Campagnolo rims / hubs for £90
You may get cheaper on ebay, I just sold my last pair of cheap wheels :(

The cost of road wheels, even basic ones, is one of the great mysteries of cycling IMO. I've been looking for a replacement 700c for my beat-up Peugeot, but unlike their MTB equivalents, roadie wheels don't really ever seem to come dirt cheap.

On the bay, it might be cheaper to buy a complete hack bike than to buy just 2 wheels... especially when the occasional passable roadie sells for £15 or less...

You need to figure out what width rear wheel you need so it fits within the dropouts ( tho you can go a little either way).
Generally for older bikes this is 120/122/126mm
You can get new rear wheels on ebay for under 30 posted.

Thanks for that. Any recommendations on ebay people for the £30 wheels? (My dropout measurement is 128mm by the way so I guess it should be 126mm).

tonyf39":3n0bvt7m said:
You need to figure out what width rear wheel you need so it fits within the dropouts ( tho you can go a little either way).
Generally for older bikes this is 120/122/126mm
You can get new rear wheels on ebay for under 30 posted.

Oh dear God, what I have I gotten into!!! I'll keep an eye on ebay, thanks for the tip.

Diamant_Don":b5bzm5hf said:
The cost of road wheels, even basic ones, is one of the great mysteries of cycling IMO. I've been looking for a replacement 700c for my beat-up Peugeot, but unlike their MTB equivalents, roadie wheels don't really ever seem to come dirt cheap.

On the bay, it might be cheaper to buy a complete hack bike than to buy just 2 wheels... especially when the occasional passable roadie sells for £15 or less...

Back