Small Frame. 48-50cm. Steel. *Now with pos RJ Quinn swap*

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
Looking for a small steel road frame...

My wife's frame is too large and she's looking for something smaller we can switch a Campag Nuovo Record Group on to.
It's the final try before we give up on the vintage avenue and go modern for her!

We're tentatively looking, no rush as not really needed until spring, so initially open to all sorts...
...more of an Audax style frame might be nice, something comfortable for longer day rides. But again, not too strict on this and would consider a more pure race orientated frame.

But must be:

Size: Around 48-50cm c-to-c seat tube; 48-50cm c-to-c top tube.
Steel
700c wheels
Decent paint, not in need of respray, no dents or dings or rust etc

Preferable, but maybe not vital:

120mm rear spacing
English Threaded
Threaded Steerer - 1 inch forks.
No shifter braze ons (as have band on ones or bar ends)
Mudguard eyes / Slightly larger clearances to fit mudguards
British / Italian
Audax rather than pure race
1960s to 80s would be ideal...
...but doesn't have to be strictly period / vintage. More modern steel considered - if adaptable (in the first instance at least) to the Nuovo Record parts we already have as can't afford to buy alternatives at present.

Re: Small Road Frame & Forks. 48 - 50cm. Steel.

That's nice. Intriguing indeed, and quite the paintjob too!

But probably a bit racier (looks fairly tight clearance) than I'm looking for in the first instance. And I imagine above my price range - I'm looking for a frame £200 or under. Out of interest, what is the price tag? And any idea of tubing? And size / geometry.

The full build is £495
Wheelset is Nisi rims on Campagnolo hubs. Super Record 2 bolt seat post, NOS Gipiemme callipers but can be supplied with Monoplaners.
Frame is 50 seat 52 top, not sure of tubing but it's a lightweight build, around 9.5kg from memory.
Not sure if I want to split but Italian XS frames seem to fetch a premium in the Far East.

Okay. Thanks for the details. I'll keep it in mind, probably not quite what I'm after in the first instance. Although I'll show my wife the photos anyway, see what she reckons.

Of course, If you need parts of the build I can work out a price? Thanks for your interest :)

Hey there,

Before you read on please note that I still have to double-check the size. It's either 50 or 52 ctc squared - would it be too big for ya if it does turn out to be 52 (most likely size)?

Just bought a really nicely made Donohue 531c off the site to act as a donor bike for another build. Will have the frameset completely stripped down and ready to be sold on fairly soon hopefully. Here's the picture from the original listing:
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y42 ... f74c6b.jpg
and the original listing:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=285277&start=0

531c, eyelets for both rack and mudguards on the back (plus mounts for the rack on the seatstays) and eyes for guards only on the front. Probably British BB, probably 126 or 130 rear (semi-horizontal), 27.2 seatpost. Fairly relaxed clearances with great tubing and tight geometry.

Still need to work out a price (depends on what I end up replacing the frame with) but would be in the region of £115-130 (frame+forks only)

Let me know :)

Edit: Oh and I'm based in London and would be glad to leave it built up for the next week or so if you're around and want to try it out

I have a nice Benotto frameset which is 48 c to c seat tube and 50 c to c top tube.

Its built with EX 4130 tubing which I think is triple butted? Nice lug work.

Lovely frame with no dents, but does have some chips and some surface rust on top of right chain stay. I have included a picture of the worst. Also has braze on lugs but I have removed them before with my trusty Dremmel!

I have stripped and rebuilt the original headset which is fine, but not the bottom bracket as I don't have the right tool and it spins just fine.

I was going to rebuild it as it is due to the Italian flag colour scheme, but a £40 sand-blast and powdercoat would have it looking as new.

£50 plus £10 postage for the frameset including headset and bottom bracket. Or could bring to London as I travel down most weeks.

LOVE the original scheme....you can get a chain stay protector to cover the grotty stuff, T Cut the rest and wax within an inch of it's life...:) Powder coat always looks like custard imho

bikenut2010":1pzyfkp2 said:
LOVE the original scheme....you can get a chain stay protector to cover the grotty stuff, T Cut the rest and wax within an inch of it's life...:) Powder coat always looks like custard imho

That is my plan! :D

Powder coat like custard! My Carlton Pro begs to differ!

Latest posts

Back