Shimano 105 triple gear shifters - Replace with what?

GaryBH

Retro Newbie
My bike is a Scott AFD and is fitted with a triple chain ring, and 7 gears. My local bike shop has advised me that the gear selectors which are ST5510 are badly worn and the indexing is not possible to set up correctly, so need changing. I would really like to keep the 21 gears as I am not very good on the hills and would like to keep the option of a climbing gear. I think the Shimano 105 triple gear set is now obsolete, so what would I change/upgrade them with?

Thanks

Gary

Erm

ST5510 is a 9 speed shifter. I'm not surprised it won't work with a 7 speed block....

Yes I am aware of that. Sorry for not being clearer. What is fitted to my bike is a ST5510 which is stamped into the side of the shifter on the left hand side which is the shifter for the triple chain wheel. On the right hand side is also a ST5510 which shifts the seven gears on the rear. I assume that when the bike was built and fitted with the gearset the ST5510 shifters were probably supplied as matched set. As the ST5510 are now obsolete I believe, my question is now what do I use to replace them, still keeping the triple chain wheel and the seven cog gearset on the wheel?

Thanks for the reply. I must have been having a senior moment when I started this topic. I have realised that the gears on my bike are in fact a nine cog block with a triple chain ring so giving me 27 gears. So the question still remains what shifters do I fit to retain the use of the triple chain wheel and 9 cassette block?

Latest posts

Back