Dura Ace (7400 series) - hub axle bearing cones - SORTED!

rjsdavis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi to all

Have just serviced my hubs this evening and discovered some excessive wear/pitting. Fortunately, it's only affected two of the cones and not the main bearing surfaces of the hubs

I really need the non drive side, rear hub axle bearing cone for a 7400 series rear HG / UG hub. (the non drive and drive side cones are subtly different!)

I also need one of the front hub axle bearing cones too. Would consider buying complete axle/cone sets if that was all that was available, but only actually need the two cone bearing parts to complete the refurbishment if anyone has the spares.

BTW - does anyone know the two bearing sizes for the front and rear hubs (will replace these whilst fitting the new cones!)

Thanks muchly in advance

Re: Dura Ace (7400 series) - hub axle bearing cones - WTD

there was a seller on ebay from Canada who had 7402 (freehub) cones , not sure if they are the same as the 7400 though

latman":27h2bh32 said:
there was a seller on ebay from Canada who had 7402 (freehub) cones , not sure if they are the same as the 7400 though

Hello there Latman

As it happens - mine is either a 7402 or 7403 8 speed HG freehub, so they would probably be the right cones - sadly, after spending the last ten minutes scouring the Ebay Canada website, can't find hide nor hare of him! (Either in the live or completed auctions).

I don't suppose you've dealt with him ever, and have some sort of contact detail or an Ebay username by any chance?

BTW - I don't suppose you can remember by any chance roughly how much they were? (Don't want to be spending £25 per cone side - would be more cost effective to get a used hub that doesn't have any problems!!)

I thought I did buy some myself for spares (as I have 2 integrated 8 freehub equipped bikes) but I cannot find them in my parts drawers , I originally bought a LH 7700 cone as a replacement out of desperation , then the exact part I needed was listed , If you can search my latman007 ebay user name purchase history then go for it , I think the seller may have had dragon spinz in his name or something similar.

I forgot to mention they were cheapish , I'm not sure what Shimano's codes mean as they do not seem to differentiate between UG and HG , I think the 7400 was screw on 126mm OD , 7401 was never used then 7402 is 7 speed cassette and 7403 refers to 8 speed cassette ?

latman":1yorim15 said:
I thought I did buy some myself for spares (as I have 2 integrated 8 freehub equipped bikes) but I cannot find them in my parts drawers , I originally bought a LH 7700 cone as a replacement out of desperation , then the exact part I needed was listed , If you can search my latman007 ebay user name purchase history then go for it , I think the seller may have had dragon spinz in his name or something similar.

Hi Latman

Thanks again for this post - really helpful and I felt sure that I was going to find him - sadly to no avail. Fleabay, in their wisdom, do not record the item description anymore in one's feedback history, so there are no clues in your feedbacks. I then clicked on every seller in the first three pages hoping that one of them was in Canada - none of them were! (which goes back to June 2012), and finally tried looking for the Dragon type name, but there weren't any in the first six pages which went back to 2010.... Am guessing that it wasn't as long as that tho?

I bet the bugger didn't leave you any feedback! Gggggrrrrrrr...... it was all shaping up so well.

Reckon you're right about the freehub codes. Mine will be the 7403 HG freehub, but am willing to bet that the rear hub cones that I'm after are the same on the 7400 / 7401 & 7403!

I'm sure all the freehub ones will be the same at least , I just searched through my saved paypal emails and the guys email address is daveturgeon@videotron.qc.ca , I paid CAD $7.40 each on jan 5 2012. cheers Ian

Back