Wanted: Circa 1965 Touring Bike

gandhig

Retro Newbie
Good afternoon – my first visit to the forum

As I rapidly approach my 50th birthday I want to mark it with a cycle touring adventure. As the owner of several modern bikes (road, commuting, fixed and cyclo cross) I have begun to consider the possibility of cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats on a bike that would have been around at the time I was born (1965). I am 5'8" tall with an inside leg of 30" - current bikes are 52/54cms.

I wondered whether anyone had something suitable for sale or indeed had any advice on the project.

I suspect I might have to make some compromises in the age of bike, but the idea of riding on a "vintage/retro/old school" bike is one which I'm quite committed to. I just want the experience of riding as everyone would have done in the 60's - even if the gear ratios might not be as forgiving as they are today! It would also be an opportunity to try and source some period clothing too. I would be Youth Hostelling so "light" touring in terms of racks etc. I will also use the ride as an opportunity to raise money for charity.

Thanks

Hi and welcome, - beware this place can become expensive!!
I like your idea of a long tour on something retro, period clothing from the 60s will be interesting though, are you going for the industrial flat cap or the flowers and flares look?

Regarding a bike for the job the ideal would be something like a Dawes Galaxy but one of 1965 vintage may be hard to find in decent condition. Do you have a budget in mind?
I do have an Elswick Hopper Mistral from the 70s in a 54 that is all up together and would leave plenty of cash for your wardrobe!

I can do some pics tomorrow if you are interested.
Cheers

Thanks for the reply - would definitely be the flat cap!
Pictures would be interesting, but don't go to too much trouble as I don't want to jump straight into buying. Am hoping someone will have as near to a 1965 as I

Back