Hubs Wanted

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Right, for better or worse (the latter probably) I have decided to try and build my own wheels. I have a set of rims with a fair amount of life left in them. They are Olympic Montreal rims and are 36 hole versions.

So, I need some hubs. I'm not particularly looking for hubs of a similar age and would probably be looking for a rear with 130mm spacing. I'm not looking to spend an absolute fortune.

Chances are I'll have to take it all to a shop to put right the dreadful hash of a mess I'll have made.

Thanks all.

I can't help with hubs, but good luck on the building! It really isn't that hard - follow the step by step guide on sheldon brown's page and you'll get there! be prepared to lace and unlace a couple of times if you make mistakes, but just take your time and do things in order, and it'll all work out!

I have a pair of Mavic hubs with 36 holes but the spacing is 100/126, the front is a 501 and rear a 550 for threaded freewheel, good condition but the 501 bearings need attention. Will do the pair for £30 if you want them

Iwasgoodonce":1oswydx4 said:
Right, for better or worse (the latter probably) I have decided to try and build my own wheels. I have a set of rims with a fair amount of life left in them. They are Olympic Montreal rims and are 36 hole versions.

So, I need some hubs. I'm not particularly looking for hubs of a similar age and would probably be looking for a rear with 130mm spacing. I'm not looking to spend an absolute fortune.

Chances are I'll have to take it all to a shop to put right the dreadful hash of a mess I'll have made.

Thanks all.

have you given up on those tubs already :roll:

Iwasgoodonce":2y121r7e said:
predki":2y121r7e said:
Here's a book you can buy about wheelbuilding: http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
I bought it and it's great help in wheel building. Highly recommended.

I have bought the book. I was going to order "The Bicycle Wheel" from the states but, will have a go with this one first. All I need now are the hubs and some spokes.

Is the book easy to follow?

It's great, according to me and easy to understand. I didn't have any experience (now I have very small lol) in wheel building but the book let me build them easily step by step. And there are some details that I didn't find elsewhere (e.g. like 2 types of rim spoke hole offset, author describes: "Rims these days are virtually all type 1’s but check all the same. I have only ever seen a couple of type 2’s and they were on some very old obscure rims." And of course I found the second type on my first pair of rims! Weinmann Alesa 26x1 1/4). Definitely worth the money and on the website there's spoke calculator.

grumpycommuter":au6skazu said:
Iwasgoodonce":au6skazu said:

Thanks all.

Au contraire. Olympic Montreals are tubular rims.

Mr Riddim, thanks for the offer but all my frames are 130. Possible my Alan is 126 but with the fork steerer turning in the crown, it isn't really a rider at the moment.

Iwasgoodonce":x0859bll said:
grumpycommuter":x0859bll said:
Iwasgoodonce":x0859bll said:

Thanks all.

Au contraire. Olympic Montreals are tubular rims.

Mr Riddim, thanks for the offer but all my frames are 130. Possible my Alan is 126 but with the fork steerer turning in the crown, it isn't really a rider at the moment.

you are indeed a real man
sbowing_100-104.gif

Back