Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:41 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

Post subject: Hubs Wanted
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Right, for better or worse (the latter probably) I have decided to try and build my own wheels. I have a set of rims with a fair amount of life left in them. They are Olympic Montreal rims and are 36 hole versions.

So, I need some hubs. I'm not particularly looking for hubs of a similar age and would probably be looking for a rear with 130mm spacing. I'm not looking to spend an absolute fortune.

Chances are I'll have to take it all to a shop to put right the dreadful hash of a mess I'll have made.

Thanks all.

Post subject: Re: Hubs Wanted
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:29 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I can't help with hubs, but good luck on the building! It really isn't that hard - follow the step by step guide on sheldon brown's page and you'll get there! be prepared to lace and unlace a couple of times if you make mistakes, but just take your time and do things in order, and it'll all work out!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:24 am 
Retro Guru

Here's a book you can buy about wheelbuilding: http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
I bought it and it's great help in wheel building. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:48 pm 
Old School Grand Master

predki wrote:
Here's a book you can buy about wheelbuilding: http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

I have bought the book. I was going to order "The Bicycle Wheel" from the states but, will have a go with this one first. All I need now are the hubs and some spokes.

Is the book easy to follow?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:43 pm 
Retro Guru

I have a pair of Mavic hubs with 36 holes but the spacing is 100/126, the front is a 501 and rear a 550 for threaded freewheel, good condition but the 501 bearings need attention. Will do the pair for £30 if you want them

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:17 pm 
Retro Guru

Iwasgoodonce wrote:
Right, for better or worse (the latter probably) I have decided to try and build my own wheels. I have a set of rims with a fair amount of life left in them. They are Olympic Montreal rims and are 36 hole versions.

So, I need some hubs. I'm not particularly looking for hubs of a similar age and would probably be looking for a rear with 130mm spacing. I'm not looking to spend an absolute fortune.

Chances are I'll have to take it all to a shop to put right the dreadful hash of a mess I'll have made.

Thanks all.

have you given up on those tubs already :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Iwasgoodonce wrote:
predki wrote:

I have bought the book. I was going to order "The Bicycle Wheel" from the states but, will have a go with this one first. All I need now are the hubs and some spokes.

Is the book easy to follow?

It's great, according to me and easy to understand. I didn't have any experience (now I have very small lol) in wheel building but the book let me build them easily step by step. And there are some details that I didn't find elsewhere (e.g. like 2 types of rim spoke hole offset, author describes: "Rims these days are virtually all type 1’s but check all the same. I have only ever seen a couple of type 2’s and they were on some very old obscure rims." And of course I found the second type on my first pair of rims! Weinmann Alesa 26x1 1/4). Definitely worth the money and on the website there's spoke calculator.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:41 am 
Old School Grand Master

grumpycommuter wrote:
Iwasgoodonce wrote:

Thanks all.

Au contraire. Olympic Montreals are tubular rims.

Mr Riddim, thanks for the offer but all my frames are 130. Possible my Alan is 126 but with the fork steerer turning in the crown, it isn't really a rider at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:30 pm 
Retro Guru

Iwasgoodonce wrote:
grumpycommuter wrote:
Iwasgoodonce wrote:

Thanks all.

Au contraire. Olympic Montreals are tubular rims.

Mr Riddim, thanks for the offer but all my frames are 130. Possible my Alan is 126 but with the fork steerer turning in the crown, it isn't really a rider at the moment.

you are indeed a real man Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 am 
Old School Grand Master

Anyone got anything?