Drop bars and stem Now sorted just need bar end shifters

JimNicho

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right... I built up an old Marin Palisades frame with the skinniest tyres I could find as a kind of a makeshift road bike with flat bars. I'm thinking of trying some drop bars on it but I don't want to hell out a bunch of money and find out they don't work or the fit is wrong, so I'm looking for a cheap knackered set of bars an 1 1/8" quill stem or even a lend of some to see if it works. Ideally I'm going to invest in a proper road bike, but funds won't allow that at the minute.

Well... I've sourced a few bits and pieces and now I just need bars (and tape) and some sort of shifters. It's an MTB frame so no braze-ons for downtube shifters which means I'll have to go with bar end shifters or band-on downtube ones which seem to be on the shelf between hen's teeth and rocking horse S**t. I can get brand new bars for £10 delivered, so if anyone has got any cheaper, give me a shout.

Ideally indexed 7 speed, but I am running an 8 speed hub so could, at a push, add an 8 speed cassette but would rather avoid the extra expense.

okay I have someNOS band on Suntour 7 speed indexed shifters, the question is are the Marin's downtubes 28.6mm?

Fell at the final fence... I'm not sure of the exact size, but the downtube is bigger than 28.6 :-( It looks like it'll have to be bar end shifters!!

I've actually bought some brakes, and a stem converter so I'm going for it lol. Just need some bars and bar end shifters now.

Back