Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:34 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:13 am 
Old School Hero

as above condition not important,531 etc pm with details
thanks

Post subject: Carlton Pro
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:03 am 
Dirt Disciple

I have a Carlton Pro 20" white red and blue.The front forks are not original but are reynolds chrome 531 oval pattern.They are quite long and need the threads chasing down a bit and cutting to length.Chromework is very good.Paintwork is scruffy and would benefit from a respray but will restore into a lovely bike.I can supply pics if interested.e-mail stanroadman1953@aol.com. Regards Stan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 am 
Retro Guru

Nooooo...you need a Alec Bird track frame with wonderful Capella lugs.....even better when it has a 56cm seat tube and 55cm top tube.

Post subject: Re:Capella Lugs
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:15 am 
Dirt Disciple

Wooo you probably have a rebadged Carlton by Alec Bird.Capella lugs were used on Carlton;s from 1959-65 approximately and featured on their Catalina and Clubman frames which were plain guage tourers and also found their way on to some Raleigh TI's presumably to use up a batch of lugs.However it was possible to have a choice of lugs as well and you could upgrage your top of the range Flyer road or Flyer or Madison Track with the ornate Capella or even more ornate International lugs.The Flyer was then replaced in road form by the Pro but continued in Track form until both were replaced by the Raleigh TI Pro series. Ooooh Sawston an attempt by Cambridge Town and County CC to find a faster tt course than the old F1 and F2 courses at Madingley and Waterbeach respectively for 10 and 25 miles and were if I remember correctly mapped put by Gerry Ashley from St Neots.The courses were only marginally faster and were probably a diversion for more southern based riders Messrs Chapman,Joy,Draper,Mynott to the exclusion of other menbers on the northern side like our captain.I used an Hetchins Track Supreme All Chrome now owned by close friend Gary Footman at Haywards. The fastest time trialist by far was local flyer Terry Sewell on a Rory O'Brien ehgrave built with No1 lugs. I am riding a similar Ehgrave No1 track at the moment and can supply pics of it on stanroadman1953@aol.com if anyone is interested.I also have a Carlton International to illustrate those particular lugs as well.

Post subject: Re:Capella Lugs
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:46 pm 
Retro Guru

pathman1915@aol.com wrote:
Wooo you probably have a rebadged Carlton by Alec Bird.Capella lugs were used on Carlton;s from 1959-65 approximately and featured on their Catalina and Clubman frames which were plain guage tourers and also found their way on to some Raleigh TI's presumably to use up a batch of lugs.However it was possible to have a choice of lugs as well and you could upgrage your top of the range Flyer road or Flyer or Madison Track with the ornate Capella or even more ornate International lugs.The Flyer was then replaced in road form by the Pro but continued in Track form until both were replaced by the Raleigh TI Pro series. .

Now thats what i thought but i sent all my pics to Dave Marsh, who worked for Carlton and is regarded as the best authority on Carlton and he said [still got the email] that this frame IS MOST DEFINITELY NOT a Carlton.....it might be rebadged and might not be an Alec Bird but also not a Carlton.....so any further suggestions as i am out of ideas......Thanks for the local history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:17 am 
Retro Guru

If you're still looking, how about a Raleigh Pro in 753, it's just under a 20-inch seat tube?