Road Triple Front Mech

WilliamC

Dirt Disciple
I need a front deraillleur for a 52-42-32 triple for my mid eighties Claud Butler. Sierra 15 I don't know what it would have had originally and I'm floundering a bit in the sea of choice but patchiness of specification. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks Tony, I started to think it wouldn't be hard to fit a 31.8 with some packing so the Sora is a contender. I likle the look of the Tiagra but I've read a few reviews suggesting that the spring anchor is fragile.

I recently faced the same issue, needing to put a triple front derailleur on an 80's steel frame. In the end, I purchased some adaptors so that I could use a more recent (32mm clamp) front derailleur:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-spar ... b26c9e1d51

After all, front derailleurs are much better now, especially compared to some of the old flimsy ones you used to get. They're much easier to find as well and arguably cheaper as there are so many more.

It all depends on how 'retro' all the parts need to be, and whether you're happy to mix and match old and new bits.

WilliamC":dh5wfuxk said:
I likle the look of the Tiagra but I've read a few reviews suggesting that the spring anchor is fragile.

Mmmm, I had a tiagra level FD-443 for my flat bar road shifters on my ridgeback day 02 which worked flawlessly in all weathers for circa 20,000miles over 8-9 years.
Personally I would say don't let a couple of failures from tens of thousands of units put you off, but for the price of a new low end unit being fairy resonable I think it makes sense to buy new anyway

Back