Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:13 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

Post subject: Road Triple Front Mech
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:29 am 
Dirt Disciple

I need a front deraillleur for a 52-42-32 triple for my mid eighties Claud Butler. Sierra 15 I don't know what it would have had originally and I'm floundering a bit in the sea of choice but patchiness of specification. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:31 pm 
Retro Guru

These older spec Sora will cover the 52T ring but I'm guessing the tubing is 28.6mm so you'd need an internal spacer to go inside the clamp
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-SORA- ... 416578975f

Also a Tiagra here on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Tiagr ... 3a741a17d6
IF you had a smaller outer c/ring (say 48-50) you'd be able to utilise a lot of the older MTB derailleurs such as the TY20/Suntour X1 etc certainly there are a few NOS about at cheap prices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:29 am 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks Tony, I started to think it wouldn't be hard to fit a 31.8 with some packing so the Sora is a contender. I likle the look of the Tiagra but I've read a few reviews suggesting that the spring anchor is fragile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:10 am 
Retro Guru

I recently faced the same issue, needing to put a triple front derailleur on an 80's steel frame. In the end, I purchased some adaptors so that I could use a more recent (32mm clamp) front derailleur:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-spar ... b26c9e1d51

After all, front derailleurs are much better now, especially compared to some of the old flimsy ones you used to get. They're much easier to find as well and arguably cheaper as there are so many more.

It all depends on how 'retro' all the parts need to be, and whether you're happy to mix and match old and new bits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:09 pm 
Retro Guru

WilliamC wrote:
I likle the look of the Tiagra but I've read a few reviews suggesting that the spring anchor is fragile.

Mmmm, I had a tiagra level FD-443 for my flat bar road shifters on my ridgeback day 02 which worked flawlessly in all weathers for circa 20,000miles over 8-9 years.
Personally I would say don't let a couple of failures from tens of thousands of units put you off, but for the price of a new low end unit being fairy resonable I think it makes sense to buy new anyway