parts for big Mick's interesting late 1970s Peugeot 531

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Helping a friend restore an interesting 531 Peugeot from 1976-1978 era. It was his father Mick Nash's bike when he and Spence Parker made their successful attempt at the Land's End to John O'Groats record in 1979 (they broke the record and by the time they appeared on Pebble Mill, the record was pretty much broken again!). The bike was supplied by Solec Cycles in Huntingdon and had a few modifications done to it for the big ride. For the last few years it's languished in a barn and comes to me resplendent with a petrified wood louse :shock: Anyway plan is not a showroom spec garage queen but a rider, on a budget but with cash waiting for the right parts ;) We want to restore the bike to almost exactly how it was ridden all those years ago (still 6 speed but with a few concessions such as a slightly smaller chainring, clincher rims and tyres etc.) and give it back to Mick for him to ride when he comes back to the UK. I will get some pics of the bike up soon in the Reader's Rides section, but here's our wish list for now:

- French 531 downtube decal - SORTED BY GIL M

- pair matching silver Mavic 700c clincher rims 36 hole f&r OR decent usable complete wheelset (must be Mavic on Campy hubs, rear OLD 126mm)

- brake lever hoods to fit the Mafac levers which have barrel adjusters (gum/brown) + gum/brown covers for the adjusters

- orange bar tape

- black leather racing saddle, Brooks or WHY?

Here's a link to some pics of the bike as it looks today:
http://deadrats.co.uk/2012/03/record-br ... n-day-one/

Cheers,
Al

Pretty sure I have a TA chainring that would do you - Will confirm with a photo later
Not much later......

47 teeth - only the french........ :roll:
£6.00 shipped
Cheers

I've a pair of NOS Peugeot branded gumwall tyres 700x25
£45 posted the pair via parcel post, £1.25 less if you don't mind them being folded and sent via 2nd class
I've also a apck of orange BBB Stynthetic Cork bar tape (with light speckles) £7.50 posted (£5.75 if posted with the tyres)
Prices firm up until Royal Mail increase their postage prices at the beginning of April
Lastly I've a Brooks Pro saddle that is inscribed in French on the seat 'pre softened', barely used. Make me a decent offer if it might be of interest.
I think you can still get NOS regina BX from SJS for £20
6132819441_73e4d024c5_b.jpg

6132830103_3d1dda6f45_b.jpg

- alloy TA chainring, the 5 bolt type with the bolts very close to the axle, 46-48t

What's the BCD on these ?

I have quite few of 86 (I think) and some other odd sizes.

FluffyChicken":2xkq9jle said:
- alloy TA chainring, the 5 bolt type with the bolts very close to the axle, 46-48t

What's the BCD on these ?

I have quite few of 86 (I think) and some other odd sizes.

not sure but they are approx 34mm c-c apart :shock:

I've some 86 bcd stuff here which won't fit, if you've anything that fits the bill let me know pls - should look like longbeech's

thanks for thinking! Al :D

Back