1 inch french threaded headset OR British threaded forks

Spibblo

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have an old peugeot frame and forks (1981 I think) and I'm looking for a 1 INCH FRENCH THREADED HEADSET with a stack height of 37mm or less.

I realise they are not exactly in great abundance so I would consider changing to BRITISH THREAD FORKS to enable fitting a readily available ISO H/S
FORKS would need to have a steerer of 167mm or more, be light, steel and 1 inch obviously, I can get them cut and threaded if too long.

can anyone help a fella out?

some might consider this a bodge, I used it succesfully for years on a motobecane I had.
The thread pitch on english & french frames is the same, its just the tube dia on french is smaller. Get some electricians tape and wrap it around the french threads, real tight and enough so that an english headset threads onto it, kinda tight, but not so that it chews up the tape. Job done, using an english headset.
Like I said, you might consider it a bodge and not for you, but in all that time I never had it come loose or found slack play or wore the english headset out (it was a steel chrome tange headset).

pigman":hyzallgq said:
some might consider this a bodge, I used it succesfully for years on a motobecane I had.
The thread pitch on english & french frames is the same, its just the tube dia on french is smaller. Get some electricians tape and wrap it around the french threads, real tight and enough so that an english headset threads onto it, kinda tight, but not so that it chews up the tape. Job done, using an english headset.
Like I said, you might consider it a bodge and not for you, but in all that time I never had it come loose or found slack play or wore the english headset out (it was a steel chrome tange headset).

I'd heard of that method before, worth a try if all else fails. Out of interest the cups on the french headsets are 30mm and ISO's are 30.2, everyone (including Sheldon Brown) says you can use ISO headset cups in the french frame, so what gives, the headset or the headtube?

French threaded headsets

Hello there,
I may be able to help you? I have a complete french threaded
headset. :) It is in excellent condition. the bottom race is
ok. The headset came off a mid eighties Peugeot. I do have
some pics. But they are too big in size for retrobike. How
ever am quite willing to send them to your email address
if you are interested. :) Pricewise? £8.00 £3.00 postage.
Sincerely 66ich fixed.

i have a stronglight headset, pm me if your interested. I would have to check for stack height

Back