WANTED Raleigh Pioneer - old and cheap!!

origosoh

Retro Newbie
Hi, this may be a rather odd request, but a friend has fallen in love with my 20-year-old Raleigh Pioneer hybrid (bought for a grand total of £10!) and would like something similar. Ideally 21" though could also fit 20", and in reasonable shape - quite a few at this age seem to need bottom bracket replacing and other things (understandably), this is OK but would need to be reflected in the price, honesty re. faults would be appreciated (inc. buckled wheels - repairs add up for the non-technically minded!!)

Looking at a budget of up to £50 depending on condition/faults. Would prefer 15+ gears, not gripshift. Based around Chichester area but can travel for the right bike, and sometimes travel round the country so if you have something please let me know as one of us may be in the area.

Thanks for reading, here's hoping!

Hi, thanks for the link, looks like that bike will be massive though if suitable for man over 6ft!! Need something 20-21", mine is 21" and was found to be very comfortable.

Thanks again; keeping my eye on a couple of ebay listings, but nothing that stands out at the moment :(

Ah, sorry, I was in MTB "21 is really big mode" but of course it isn't really.

Is that the model you're after? I have to say, I had one of those frames and I wasn't too enamoured with it - it weighed a ton. Mind you it did cost me £6.99. I had a Pioneer Trail too and it was miles nicer.

To be honest she's not overly worried about specific model, just loves my Pioneer (Raleigh Pioneer Quest, only ever seen 1 identical). Not overly worried about weight, more interested in the comfort side of it, as she'll be training for a long but leisurely charity ride. That blue one looks like the mens version of the one my mother had when I was growing up, I loved that bike!

My Pioneer Quest only cost me £10, needed a wheel trueing, new bottom bracket and new gear shifters soon after, but I have to say despite the weight I like it more than any bike I've had, just seems so comfy, and has seen me through some long (for me) rides laden down with heavy panniers, tent etc without letting me down.

Will be looking at any bike we see before buying, to make sure it's suitable, but got Pioneer in mind basically because we know what we'll be getting pretty much, and they can often be got for a reasonable price; picked up a pristine one last year for £25 for another friend.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated :)

Yes, the VFM rating of a Pioneer is hard to beat. I have a soft spot for them too - I was planning on building up my £6.99 buy but a few people wanted parts from it, so I ended up taking the frame to the skip. They do seem like dependable bikes though, rather like the Land Rover of hybrids!

They do see to be absolutely indestructible. My mum used to have one that she "looked after" by leaving it in the back yard uncovered for five years. All it needed was tyres and a good clean to get it going - even the cables were ok!

My missus has a Pioneer Classic at the moment - it's in nice original condition but it's also in Manchester - if that's any good to you I can ask if she'd be interested in selling it.

Good luck in any case.

Back