Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1997 Kona Kapu

Errr....

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/d ... 14012.html

gJMaVV.jpg

:shock: :?:

Re:

That's really odd, this guy's one-off bike is in the exact colours I was thinking of re-finishing my Kapu in ...

Gotta be a re-paint, right? - he's lost the 'Kapu' and 'Bici Strada' decals that would have been specific for this frame / a pain to get hold of, and just used the relatively easy-to-get-hold-of HT and DT decals. Looks like a very nice job though?

My spidy senses aren't so sure on a repaint. The scratch on the head-tube, the spot on down-tube and head-tube decal placement and alignment, the original chain-stay guard, the smoothness and clarity of the welds...the listing as "96/97"...could it be a transition mid-season model between the gun metal of 96 and aqua green of 97? The colour is 96 Kula-esque as well.

al-onestare":wob1w9lg said:
My spidy senses aren't so sure on a repaint. The scratch on the head-tube, the spot on down-tube and head-tube decal placement and alignment, the original chain-stay guard, the smoothness and clarity of the welds...the listing as "96/97"...could it be a transition mid-season model between the gun metal of 96 and aqua green of 97? The colour is 96 Kula-esque as well.

Mm, I did spot the original chainstay sticker ... Do you think they did these in small enough runs where the customer could request their own colours? Back in the day I requested my Orange Evo2 in a custom colour and they did it no problem. Could well be that they did this Kapu in some of their off-the-peg MTB colours.

Is it just me or does it look great?

Re:

It wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure the production runs were small and I'm sure a few frames were hanging around the office and depot. Whilst most of the manufacturing had gone to Taiwan by this time, it would have been fairly "easy" to have something custom painted. Especially if it was an employee or affiliate partner / dealer / special request. Perhaps the owner has a story to tell (I'm not going to message them) and the serial number will help pin-point the production history.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think it looks great. For me, the "happy go lucky green" gives me goosebumps, particularly as - as far as I know - it was unique to this specific model only.

PxeFiA.jpg

ThpYjm7.gif

I think this one has come up before. It's a super-nice 1995 over in Denmark. If anyone get's it, I'll take the wheels and stem :LOL:

Frankly, if I didn't have my special one, I'd be all over this even though it's too big for me.

https://www.dba.dk/racercykel-perfekt-s ... 046536688/

BUT it still isn't the 97 :cry:

I actually dreamt about riding this last night :LOL:

wcI5RN.jpg

I'm offering my '94 prototype and cash for one - there, I said it!

spotted on the street yesterday, not 500m from where i live...another 95`er

only tyres changed, from orig 95`build ... or so i thought.
my mate pointed out, that rear wheel..or at least the rim is changed..
mayby both,.

sorry for the crappy mobile pics

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_kona_kapu_nb-gade_31-10-18_2.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_kona_kapu_nb-gade_31-10-18_2.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 1,069
  • rsz_1rsz_kona_kapu_nb-gade_31-10-18_1.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_kona_kapu_nb-gade_31-10-18_1.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 1,068
  • rsz_1rsz_kona_kapu_nb-gade_31-10-18_6.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_kona_kapu_nb-gade_31-10-18_6.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,068

Good spot and in my size too. That stem alone is uber rare; so many got swapped out later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back