WTD - Quill stem with cable routing

The_Big_Commute

Devout Dirtbag
Currently my stem is way to long for me and a little steep in angle. I've attached a photo of the kind of thing I have currently (too steep). 90mm with a less steep angle if possible .

Thanks

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 538
OK to drill a good solid forged aluminium stem such as Cinelli/GB/SR/3TTT etc.
Don't do it to a modern welded tubular stem.
Plenty of touring and cyclocross bikes surviving from the 60s and 70s like this.

Drill about 30mm from the stem bolt, a 1.5mm hole through all for the cable inner followed by a 6 mm diameter, 3-4 mm deep in the top of the stem (to hold the cable outer).
Make sure it's centred and (if possible) parallel to the quill (not square with the extension) to get a clean looking cable line.

All the best,

Although it would be possible with a vice and hand-held drill, probably better to do it with something more solid and accurate, like a milling machine, really.

Do you know any old blokes in sheds, model engineering, old motorbike etc?

All the best,

Re:

Or use an uphanger attached to fork crown

BITD drilling the stem was the way - clean, lightweight, uncomplicated. But as old parts become rarer, you may not want to shed-modify them. Plus, if you have concealed cables, its gonna look awkward

Your current stem looks quite like an MTB one, and so the 1 1/8" column size to fir their wider diameter steerer tubes. If it's not though, then I've a 1" one for a tourer bike that might fit the bill?

Re: Re:

Pm'd you.

The_Big_Commute":2t2r22uw said:
That's just an example I found online. Could you send me some details of the stem you have please? What length is it? Cheers

Latest posts

Back