Gipiemme Sprint & Special

Nick119

Devout Dirtbag
Hello all

A few months ago I managed to acquire myself a vintage Battaglin.

After quite a bit of research and contact with the factory, it turns out to be a rare ol' thing - an 'Arena' model, made from Columbus KL tubing.

Given its age it's in fine condition and I've decided to do the 'right thing' and try to restore it back to its original factory settings, using a combination of Gipiemme Sprint and Special components c1980/1.

If you have any knocking around - or know of someone who may, please let me know.

I'm after - Hubs, headest, BB, levers, shifters, F+R deraileurs, pedals... Anything, to be honest!

Once done, I'm planning to cycle it back to the Battaglin factory in Marostica.

Many thanks in advance for any help...

Hi,

Why Gipiemme? If were you I would consider also nice Ofmega Premier and Ofmega Master. Anyway if you decide Gipiemme, go for Special only. If you really carry about smooth riding there is nothing above Mavic group.

My friend bought few weeks ago Gipiemme Special wheels. The rear hub is very similar in construction to Mavic 500/550 hub and spins so smoothly that I liked them.

I am finishing Milanetti which has a combination of Ofmega Premier (rear and front mech) and Gipiemme Special (crankset, headset, shifters -coke spoon) parts.

Good luck!

I have a pair of 28 hole Sprint hubs,the front is currently built onto a Fiamme grey rim and the rear isnt,I can strip it for the hubs if you want or leave it.Pm me if they would be any good.jm.

Re:

I have some Sprint hubs built onto Mavic GP4 tubular rims, complete with QR's. They've seen better days with some rust to the QR's, rim eyelets and the oil ports. Run very smooth though, so my be use as the basis for a resto, or for spares/repairs. Would be cheap, and even cheaper collected (Bournemouth) to save postage. PM me if you are interested.

altec":3cpyxtdk said:
Hi,

Why Gipiemme? If were you I would consider also nice Ofmega Premier and Ofmega Master. Anyway if you decide Gipiemme, go for Special only. If you really carry about smooth riding there is nothing above Mavic group.

My friend bought few weeks ago Gipiemme Special wheels. The rear hub is very similar in construction to Mavic 500/550 hub and spins so smoothly that I liked them.

I am finishing Milanetti which has a combination of Ofmega Premier (rear and front mech) and Gipiemme Special (crankset, headset, shifters -coke spoon) parts.

Good luck!

Thanks for your post Altec

I entirely agree with your comments about Mavic - but the reason I chose Gipiemme, is because the Battaglin factory very kindly dug out their relevant brochure for the year of the model. As well as pictures of the frame model, the pages also list the components that were used to build the bike up - I'm just wanting to be remain true to these 'settings' (which is proving harder than I had imagined!)

Anyway, I'll get there - I'm sure.

Your Milanetti sounds nice - envious of your Gipiemme components! Post a picture when you're finished!

Re:

Thanks for the interest in the post - I'll get some pictures of the work in progress - stripping, cleaning and inspection process... current images are too big to attach, so I'll need to reduce their file size.

Bear with....

Re: Re:

dan73uk":2nh06ma3 said:
Please could we get a photograph of the Battaglin. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0510 20.jpg
    IMG_0510 20.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_0687 20.jpg
    IMG_0687 20.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_0971 20.jpg
    IMG_0971 20.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_0974 20.jpg
    IMG_0974 20.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_0975 20.jpg
    IMG_0975 20.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 630
Re:

Hi everyone - my search has delivered good results - thanks to everyone who has helped.

One thing I'm struggling to find are English threaded bottom bracket cups (Gipiemme). Happy to purchase an entire BB set, or just the cups...

Thanks for any help....

Re:

Hi everyone - my search has delivered good results - thanks to everyone who has helped.

One thing I'm struggling to find are English threaded bottom bracket cups (Gipiemme). Happy to purchase an entire BB set, or just the cups...

Thanks for any help....

Back